White "film" on Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all. My clown has a white "film" near the top (dorsal?) fin right under his spine. It is on both sides, and it looks like one of his eyes are cloudy.
H2O paprams are all at normal levels, temp 78, Ph is at 8.1, all others at 0.
He is eating and moving about like nothing is wrong. He is the hardest to get a pic of because anytime I get near him, he thinks I am going to feed him....anyway, I am working on a QT...that post is under the general hardware.
I think I saw something like this on another post, but haven't been able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, I bought some medicine from the LFS, I can't remember the name, I'll check on that...But I explained what it looked like and that is what they recommended....

Thanks!

Sounds like Brooklynella hostilis. Quite common for clowns actually.

How long have you had the clown, is the film thick/mucusy and are there any open sores?

Please post the exact info on the med the LFS gave you.

Cheers
Steve

The film is very, very thin, I almost didn't catch it. I can see it better at certian angles. There are no open sores. I just noticed it on Saturday, (I was in Philly for the week). It reminds me of a mold in a petry dish....
I just tried calling the LFS...small town, they probably have only one phone and that's hooked to the credit card machine...
Called back, Pemifix is the name....

It's called
Pimifix

Hmmm, from that web site:
The parasite attacks the gills of the infected fish and with heavy infections, the surface tissue of the gills is destroyed and the parasites feed on tissue debris and ingest blood cells (Lom, 1995).
But this is at his tail, his gills look good, would I not be able to see the gills having problems?

I did find this:
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/skin_disorders.html
Under letter, F (you know more about this than me, but this is more like what I can see)..protozoan ciliate Chilodonella.
It is easier to see it from almost a head on or slightly turned view....if that helps anymore.....

Thanks so much!

PS, I will hit a LFS here on my way home and get both paragard and the 37% formalin....

Brooklynella is a ciliated protazoan. As far as the symptoms, infested gills are not as easily seen as you might think. Usually the first sign of a problem will show on the fish's body. Patchy white/grey area's, film comming off the fish, mouth staying ½ open all the time, lesions and so forth. Lesions come in the latter part as the problem progresses. I was not asking as a means of diagnosis, rather treatment. Formalin type products cannot be used in the presence of open sores so your all good so far.

As far as the LFS, buy one or the other, you don't need both. Formalin preferabley over anything else. It works very effectively and quickly. Post when you have it and I'll walk you through it. The info on the link I gave you is a little sketchy.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom