White Fluffy Stuff on Oranda Goldfish Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j402

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Oranda GOldfish has some white fluffy stuff on his head, What is it? I have put him in QT for now. Is he sick? I have uploaded video, Hope you guys can make it out from video?
what should i do? Please Help?
My main tank is 40Gal (about 7 months), I checked water is good. NH3, NO2, NO3, PH etc. all fine..
I have three Goldfish(1 Oranda and 2 Fantail) in there but only this oranda is showing this kind of sign.
Here is the link of the video:
YouTube - White Stuff on Oranda Goldfish

Thanks in advance....

I would treat him with Melafix and Pimafix. :) He is super cute btw!

I hope JSoong sees this, as he is our resident goldfish expert, and he might have some different ideas.

That oranda looks like he is fine. Orandas can have crud caught in crevices of the "wen" (the head growth), this is what it looks like. Also, rapidly growing wen can have pimples, which is basically normal & goes away on its own. As long as the fish looks happy & active (which this one does), and there is no redness around the white spots or collapsing or rotting looking area, this is harmless & requires no treatment.

If you are comfortable sedating the fish, you may clean out the crud with a q-tip. I usually just leave it alone & it will fall off. Incidentally, if you suspect infection of the wen, the best treatment is anti-biotic containing food.

SYMPTOM2 OF GOLDFISH AND KOI

<look at paragraph at bottom of page.>

Last edited:
Thanks...

That oranda looks like he is fine. Orandas can have crud caught in crevices of the "wen" (the head growth), this is what it looks like. Also, rapidly growing wen can have pimples, which is basically normal & goes away on its own. As long as the fish looks happy & active (which this one does), and there is no redness around the white spots or collapsing or rotting looking area, this is harmless & requires no treatment.

If you are comfortable sedating the fish, you may clean out the crud with a q-tip. I usually just leave it alone & it will fall off. Incidentally, if you suspect infection of the wen, the best treatment is anti-biotic containing food.

SYMPTOM2 OF GOLDFISH AND KOI

<look at paragraph at bottom of page.>

Thanks a lot.....

Ya it seems to go away itself. but I'm gonna keep him/her in QT for 1 week to make sure everything is ok..

Thank you again....

Back
Top Bottom