white fuzzy on mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys! I got a couple of mollies the other day and now I see fuzzy white stuff on both of them. do I have to treat with meds or can I just use salt? and no... it is fuzzy not ick

Salt is generally not effective against body fungus. I would use meds

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Mollies

Hi guys! I got a couple of mollies the other day and now I see fuzzy white stuff on both of them. do I have to treat with meds or can I just use salt? and no... it is fuzzy not ick

Hello Heather...

Medications are a last resort. You don't know how chemicals will affect the fish, plants or the good bacteria. I'd recommend a good water change and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank.

Mollies need a tank that's set up well in advance of introducing them. The water chemistry must be very stable and you do that with large, weekly water changes. Changing half the water weekly isn't too much. Mollies are brackish water fish. A couple of teaspoons of standard aquarium salt added to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is helpful. Livebearing fish do best with a heavily planted surface so they feel comfortable in the tank and a larger tank is preferable, so there's room to swim and to avoid aggressive fish.

These fish will live without some of these things, but the idea of fishkeeping is to maintain the best water conditions possible all the time.

B

thanks guys - my research shows Maroxy is the best treatment plan - anyone have any experience with this medicine. I have never used it before
Bbradbury - yes my tank is established. I have had mollies before but I am restocking :)

OK so new question here - my research shows to buy Maroxy but I can't seem to find it around here - the active ingredient is "Stabilitzed Chlorine Oxides." can anyone tell me what I am really looking for? is this a real medicine or should I be treating this a different way? I really need some help! this product is made by mardel and I can't seem to find this brand anywhere...

Back
Top Bottom