White Growth on Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximus19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good morning guys,

I am in the process of getting a new 30 gallon tank going. Initially we planted the tank, added some turbo-start, and let it sit for a few weeks. We added a handful of fish and saw some pretty high nitrite and nitrate spikes initially which we were able to reduce through a number of water changes. Now the nitrite levels have been brought down into the safe zone based on our test strips.

The good news is that the fish in the tank are doing well. We do have some strange growth on our java moss and select areas within the tank. It looks like a white film.

Any ideas what this might be? I tried to search for similar growth, but didn't get a clear understanding as to whether this is an algae growth, mold, or bacteria. I wasn't sure if this was normal given the high nitrate levels that we saw initially.

Right now I am limiting the amount of time that the lights are on, I am trying to make sure not to overfeed, and cleaning the tank every few days to remove excess food from the gravel.

Anything else I should be doing to help mitigate this issue?

Thanks!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/KzV2af7" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/KzV2af7"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
IMG-20200817-090400673.jpg
[/url]short term goals vs long term goals[/IMG]

smart goals for gym

Back
Top Bottom