White Lip Growth on Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

My angelfish has what appears to be a small white growth on his bottom lip. Upon first glance it looks like it might be ich, but it's his only white spot to speak of and none of the other fish are showing signs. I'm a little confused! I don't think it looks like lip fibroma but I could be wrong.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
Black Angelfish. Small white growth-looking spot on his bottom lip. Swimming, eating, and behaving normally. Has even coloured up since we brought him home. I first noticed it the day after we got him and assumed it was a "war wound" from sharing a small tank with other angels at my LFS; his fins look like they've been nipped at, too. It seemed to disappear yesterday and I was relieved, but it's back today.

2~What are your tank parameters?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
pH 7.8
Temperature 78f

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Tank is 35.5g. Has been running since mid-February, so a month and a half. Has had fish in it for about a month.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number if known.
AquaClear 70

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras
6 Diamond Tetras
5 Blushing White Skirt Tetras
1 ABN Pleco (Juvenile, 2.5" long)
1 Black Angelfish

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Did a water change of 30% yesterday and vacuumed half of the gravel. I do a 30% water change twice a week and vacuum half the gravel each time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Got the fish on Sunday, so had him 5 days. He was floated in-bag with a tablespoon or two of tank water added every 10 minutes for an hour and a half before being released. I don't have a quarantine setup, unfortunately.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nothing has changed. I use Prime, if it matters.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Fish eat primarily NLS Community Flake (once daily), with pre-soaked freeze dried Tubifex every 4th day, followed by a day of cooked frozen peas. No changes to food.

Here's a picture. Help?
img_2903945_0_9ed50ac5ec50a1e7b629ac4b5cda6ca7.jpg

I would say more like ich/pimple because of the size. It does move a little bit though, like I've seen him suck in food and it almost seemed to get sucked in with it, if that makes any sense.

Started treatment this morning with Melafix. I was picking up some cat food at the store and on a whim, checked out the fish section (this store doesn't sell livestock or anything, just food and medication). I saw the Melafix and once I realized it was tea tree, figured it couldn't hurt. At the very least it may help the Angelfish's fins heal up from being nipped at the store.

We'll see how it goes. I'm praying it's not columnaris. What I see so far doesn't look like it, but the paranoia is always there...

Unfortunately I don't have the means right now. If it doesn't seem to improve over the next few days, I might have to apply for a loan from the bank of Mom. :(

Luckily it doesn't seem to be affecting any of the other fish. He's been in there for nearly a week now with no visible spreading or worsening of the issue, so that's at least something.

As long as it's not getting worse.. If you use melafix make sure to add an air stone for increased surface agitation!

It could be one spot or it could be many spots. What you are seeing are deformed cells caused by the virus . No real treatment besides keeping water clean and waiting the month the virus usually lasts.

Keen to know how you go with it, if ok will touch base in a week as something that sounds very similar in two fish I have.

A QT is rather expensive, I'm thinking of trying a 10 gal plastic box for QT and plant grow out.

Looks like Melafix is the way to go! I can't believe the difference in just 24 hours. His fins look much better already, too. The lip growth is much smaller and protrudes a lot less.

Here he is when we first got him:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396717321.796057.jpg

Here he is now:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396717357.347128.jpg

Woah his fins were beaten up I don't have a answer but am also going through some problems with my Angell if u don't mind taking a look at my thread it's called medicine or water changes in the general discussion

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom