White mold on my rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pancho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been cycling my tank for a week now, and all the live rock i had in there has become brown and looks dead. I also noticed this white moldy looking stuff on the dry rock i have in there. Is this all part of the cycling process or have i done something wrong?
Its a 29 gal with about 40 lbs of rock in there (about 15 of which was bought live).

Sounds pretty normal. A certain amount of die-off onthe LR is expected. The white patches could be dead coraline.

should i leave it on there? A friend of mine suggested buying a toothbrush and scrubbing it off. Will it dissapear after a while?

Sounds like a possible sponge. Does it look like clearish/white/mold? I would leave it in there. Any chance you can get a pic?

Will it dissapear after a while?

If it is what I am thinking it is, mine made it through the cycle but got eaten by my urchins.

White moldy stuff

Here is what it looks like. Its on more rocks now, at opposite ends of the tank.

Attachments

• dsc02343fixed_104.gif
    dsc02343fixed_104.gif
    244.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • dsc02343fixed_104.gif
    dsc02343fixed_104.gif
    244.8 KB · Views: 674
That looks almost like what I had. I believe it is some sort of sponge. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

+++EDIT+++

You may want to try and get this moved to the ID forum, there are some folks that can probably tell you what it is.

sorry to bring up an old topic...but can anyone id this white stuff... i now have it in my tank and would like to know if it is harmfull or helpful????

thanks

Harmless sponges. I have them pop up now and then, but my urchins seem to love them.

Back
Top Bottom