White patch on betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lerfdbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a new betta yesterday and this patch seems to have appeared overnight.
It was there yesterday but it was only a slight discoloration.

Is this some sort of fungal infection or just damage from his new environment? Columnaris?

he seems really energetic, he is also eating.

tank is 15 gallon with pond and assassin snails only.

I ordered some api bettafix, just incase it gets worse, I would rather not have to use it.

Attachments

• 20200628_132213.jpg
    20200628_132213.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200628_132210.jpg
    20200628_132210.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200628_132200.jpg
    20200628_132200.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 35
I think he just scraped himself up on some driftwood. Its looking better every day.

I think he just scraped himself up on some driftwood. Its looking better every day.
That's good. Keep the tank clean and stable - that's the best thing you can do to avoid infections. Also, I'd be very careful about using Bettafix. There's some evidence that it can damage the labirynth organ... a bit risky imho. There are safer alternatives (depends on where you're located).

Thanks, yea i saw a few debates about bettafix being bad for labyrinth fish, agree its not worth the risk.

Since its only watered down melafix i will save it for any non labyrinth fish i get in the future if im worried about infection.

That's good. Keep the tank clean and stable - that's the best thing you can do to avoid infections. Also, I'd be very careful about using Bettafix. There's some evidence that it can damage the labirynth organ... a bit risky imho. There are safer alternatives (depends on where you're located).
YES. Bettafix is not good. There are studies that show it actually causes more harm than good. Its also watered down medicine. Salt soaks and Erythromycin I have a lot of good luck with bacterial infections. I would do it just to be safe. Water change. When you put the fish in the tank did you dump the bag water in your tank? Hopefully not.

Salt soaks and Erythromycin I have a lot of good luck with bacterial infections. I would do it just to be safe.
The salt might be a good idea to help relieve stress and regenerate the slime coat, but I'd be cautious about dosing healthy fish with medication. There's no evidence of a bacterial infection so far, and the lesion seems to be healing, so for the time being I'd just let time and clean water do its magic. OP should still keep a close eye on it though, and administer the right medication if any signs of a problem should appear.

Hes looking better every day. Can barely notice the white spot anymore.

A shame i wasted 5 bucks on this betta fix. Does it have any use whatsoever or should I throw it in the garbage?

The water in the bag that your fish comes in can contain hitch hikers or unwanted bacteria ect.

If you get your fish out of what looks like a very healthy tank I wouldnt worry too much about it but a betta comes in a tiny bowl and its impossible to know what could be in that water.

Ideally fish should be placed in a quarintine tank first but dumping the water from the bag into any tank should be avoided regardless.

as for the bettafix... does this stuff have any use whatsoever? or just another aquarium hobby scam...

Back
Top Bottom