White poop but not stringy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jo060

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning

I had an issue with one of my cichlids who had bloat and died very quickly. I fed medicated food for 3 days to the rest of the tank and everyone appears to be doing well.
This morning I noticed a normal size/thickness poop floating through the tank that was completely white, but it was not stringy at all.

Can this still be a sign of parasites or can their poop sometimes be white? Maybe from the medicated food?

Are you sure the problem was parasitic and not bacterial. It's so difficult to determine with an intestinal problem. Not a good idea to let the surviving tankmates nibble on the possible infected poop.
It wouldn't hurt to conduct a large WC, with a very thorough gravel vac. In order to dilute pathegens.

Are you sure the problem was parasitic and not bacterial. It's so difficult to determine with an intestinal problem. Not a good idea to let the surviving tankmates nibble on the possible infected poop.
It wouldn't hurt to conduct a large WC, with a very thorough gravel vac. In order to dilute pathegens.

I can't confirm that it was parasitic or not. I do a 25 percent water change almost daily and have been vacuuming the surface of the sand.

It sounds that you are on top of things. I'm also a fan of changing a lot of water. Coincidently, l lost two baby Flowerhorns while in quarantine last week. Same symptoms, stringy white poop,
refused to eat. I treated for parasites, with no luck. Fortunately the vendor gave me a refund.
Are you keeping Africans or New Worlds?

So you were likely dealing with Malawi bloat. That usually doesn't end well.

So you were likely dealing with Malawi bloat. That usually doesn't end well.

Yup it was bloat. He only Lasted about 24-hours after showing symptoms.
I'm mostly curious about the white poop. Not stringy in the least, just white.

I had a Red Shoulder Peacock, die from Malawi Bloat. It took over a week for him to pass. He looked fine, just suddenly refused to eat, became lathargic and reclusive. I don't remember white feces.
For a fish to go belly up as quick as yours did, probably can rule out parasites. More likely bacterial. It's been my experience that once the outward symptoms of a bacterial infection are noticable, meds usually don't work. Thank goodness, that's a rare occurance.

Back
Top Bottom