White residue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spikypineapple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently redid my entire tank (36 gal bow front) because I was having issues with algae. I swapped out my sand base for a chunky gravel and I’m loving it. Unfortunately, after three weeks of the clearest waters I’ve ever had, a weird white growth has begun on the inside of the tank. I just assumed it was time for a water change but when I was draining I noticed these weird patterns all over. I have no clue what it is! I’ve never had so many problems with a fish tank in my entire life, I don’t understand. Any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• 5FDF326C-2806-49FE-B80B-127B9481D466.jpg
    5FDF326C-2806-49FE-B80B-127B9481D466.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 28
Do you have snails in the tank? It looks like the trails left behind by my snails that only become visibke when the tank is drained.

I think the pattern is caused by the mouth feeding.

Really?

My bf actually mentioned that but I was like there’s no way! But wow that’s crazy. I do have 4 snails in facts. I hope that’s all it is!

Really? Wow my bf mentioned that and I was like there’s no way! I have 4 snail though so I guess it’s completely an option. Hopefully that’s all it is! Thanks

That’s 100% what it is, snails munching their way through the biofilm. Totally normal. If you watch your snails carefully on the glass I bet you can even see them leaving that pattern. It’s especially obvious if you have any spots of thick green algae. It’ll look like that with paths going through it before they clear it all up.

Back
Top Bottom