White Saddle on Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankfair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a female guppy that has a large white patch of white mold looking stuff on her back just in front of her dorsal fin. This a solid white patch that extends from almost the bottom on the left side across her back and over half way down the right side. It is over 1/4" wide.
I have diagnosed this as cotton wool but wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I am treating with tetracycline (3rd day just started) but see very little improvement. Should I see improvment by now.
Water chemistry is great. Doing 20-25% PWCs prior to daily treatment.
Any other suggestions?

Is she in a hospital or qt?

If not, she should really be isolated. Guppys can be awefully hard on each other when they see a weekness, especially horn-dog males.

Doesn't tetracyline turn the water red? If so, it may be hard to acurately see what is really going on with her . You won't be able to see changes in color of the infection, that kind of thing.

The water is still clear but directions say do a 20% PWC before next daily dose.

I have been looking for bullying but just seems to be only more attempted sexual activity on the part of the males (but it seems she has a headach). She seems to be more active this evening and maybe the "saddle" is slightly better.

Starting to get red tint to water after three days but bigger problems....

Now I am really confused!! My guppy has gone from just having a white saddle to being deformrd. She is bowed to the right and seems she can barely swim. I am getting ready toi euthanize her but am really worried that something is wrong with my tank.

I am getting a bunch of Lotsoffish's blue sword guppies tomorrow and am not sure what to do with them. I had planned to put the in this tank (I have removed the two angels). Nothing seems to be wrong with any other fish in that tank but I am worried.

I read that cotton wool is highly contagious and since none is showing on other fish maybe all will be well. Guess I will quarantine the blue swords until I learn more.

If the cotton wool is fungus, tetracycline won't help. Something like Maroxy, methylene Blue or Malachite Green, or another proprietary anti-fungal medication would be better. I would have removed the fish to another tank/container, added salt and applied MB directly to the wool. If you are worried about the tank, do a 50% or better water change before adding new fish. Quarantine for the new fish is a good idea, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom