White slime on everything overnight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tideyes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello friends!

So I am in the process of cycling a new 6.5 gallon mini planted tank. I started it exactly a week ago. Of course I have not added any fish or anything yet - I still have a ways to go.

This is what has been added to the tank-

- A piece of driftwood about a week ago and it has developed “The Slime” which I understand is normal for newly submerged driftwood so no issues there

-Three small plants (the ones that come in the small sealed containers) Plus one from my old fully cycled tank (thinking that the beneficial bacteria from its leaves would be enough to get the cycle going....I guess not probably haha)

- The substrate is that Fluval Stratum volcanic stuff

- I have an Aqueon quietflow E filter going, And a heater obviously.

I have been battling with surface film since day 2 or 3 but it has never been a huge issue, and I hAve been doing 25% water changes every other day or so.

Yesterday I did a substrate vacuum and added some clean water. This morning I wake up and the surface film was EXTREME like I mean. About 1/2 an inch of goop. In a panic I scooped it all up so I didn’t manage to get a picture but there is still tons of it covering my plants and even some
Of my substrate now. I have set a bubbler in to break up the surface and get the water oxygenated again.
I understand this is possibly something normal for a new tank but it seemed like ALOT all at once... just overnight.
My question is WHAT IS THIS STUFF? I have googled lots and I have some ideas as to what it might be but I cannot be entirely sure. I would like to know so that I can combat it if it’s a problem or know that it’s normal and will sort itself out during the cycling phase. Any help is very appreciated! Many thanks!:)

Attachments

• 8DBBB966-655D-4AAD-9FD7-EB473CD58089.jpg
    8DBBB966-655D-4AAD-9FD7-EB473CD58089.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 49
  • 1EFCFC4F-3EBB-4DB9-A158-825D958A074E.jpg
    1EFCFC4F-3EBB-4DB9-A158-825D958A074E.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 54
The white slime is just biofilm. Harmless and will fall off the driftwood on its own eventually.

Oh it happens every time you add new wood don't worry its harmless and some fish will eat it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom