White splotch on oscar’s face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know what this is?

IMG_1060.jpg

As for background- I did a water change yesterday and my fish was totally healthy. All the Parameters are in check. This morning there was a tiny white blip on his head and now his entire face is covered in this white stuff. There is some type of stringy substance coming from his fins and spinal fin.

At the top of this forum there's a sticky thread about "Before Posting about unhealthy fish..." it's helpful to post answers for at least most of the questions when you have complicated fish situations. You'll get better help from the experienced people here.

Everything about the tank. Parameters aren't fine. Fish is in early/middle stages of hole in the head. Common with Oscars in dirty tanks.

Ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate is 20PPM. Like I said I just did a water change and vaccum gravel yesterday and it just exploded today. The fish seemed fine before this and nothing seemed wrong until today. He is in a 40 Gallon tank with no decorations. The water seems clean for the most part and I have a normal activated carbon filter. PH is 7.6. I do water changes weekly and vaccuum gravel 1/3 of the gravel each time. I scrub the glass time to time as well. I feed him normal Cichlid pellets. I’ve had the tank for about a year now.

At the top of this forum there's a sticky thread about "Before Posting about unhealthy fish..." it's helpful to post answers for at least most of the questions when you have complicated fish situations. You'll get better help from the experienced people here.

If you have nothing to add to the conversation: please don’t respond. I understand I need information to provide a clear insight on fish- but for this post I was just looking for a diagnoses on what the disease is so I can treat it.

Ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate is 20PPM. Like I said I just did a water change and vaccum gravel yesterday and it just exploded today. The fish seemed fine before this and nothing seemed wrong until today. He is in a 40 Gallon tank with no decorations. The water seems clean for the most part and I have a normal activated carbon filter. PH is 7.6. I do water changes weekly and vaccuum gravel 1/3 of the gravel each time. I scrub the glass time to time as well. I feed him normal Cichlid pellets. I’ve had the tank for about a year now.
Hole in the head happens for one reason. It doesn't discriminate. You're water is not clean enough for your oscar. You should be doing 3-50% wcs a week in a 40 gallon. This does not happen over night, this has been building, you can start changing lots of water or get a larger tank. 75 gallon for a single oscar with 50% wwc.

If you have nothing to add to the conversation: please don’t respond. I understand I need information to provide a clear insight on fish- but for this post I was just looking for a diagnoses on what the disease is so I can treat it.
This is 100% accurate and the only reason I responded is because I feel bad for the fish.

This^^^^

Cichlids are most susceptible to it. And marine fish. It can be cured, but it takes quick action. Basically the tissue around the holes is necrotic

Back
Top Bottom