White spot and my two figure 8 puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefan2013

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm looking for some advice or just other opinions. Saving the long story part so not to bore but I have 3 tropical tanks and two currently have white spot in them. So are one of the tanks has responded well to the API white spot cure and after 72 hours things are looking remarkably better. However, in the other tank my two figure 8 puffers are still covered in it. They are swimming about and their bellies still big and round and not discoloured. However, their tail Finns are starting to clamp and after 72 hours their recovery isn't noticeable.

In the same tank are 9 baby Platys and 5 cherry barbs which seem to be doing ok.
The water quality is ok, it's now been a week since the last water change but obviously still in the middle of the medication part;
Using a test strip...
Nitrates 100
Nitrites very low
GH 16
KN 6
PH 7.0
Cl 0.8
Ammonia from liquid test 0.25 ppm

Any help and advice would be really welcome.

Thanks, Stefan

Well, Nitrates at 100 is obviously going to kill you're fish very soon. I suggest you lower it or all you're baby's will die.

I am not a puffer expert but I believe figure 8 puffers are brackish water fish and this factor alone may be playing a big part here in their health. How long have you had them? They may not have fw ich but marine ich which is a completely different parasite than fw ich which is why they are not responding to fw ich meds.

That said, you have ammonia and nitrite present, very high nitrate levels and chlorine in your tank. If its been a week since your last water change, you likely have chloramine rather than chlorine in your tap because chlorine would have already dissipated. Most basic water conditioners cant handle chloramine at regular doses. What type of water conditioner are you using? You need to start doing water changes to drop your toxin levels but I suggest you invest in some Prime before you start as well as a good liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit.

Update: typo ( sorry) and puffers starting to look a bit better

First an apology, nitrates level was not 100...! It should have said 10ish ( certainly less than 50)..
This morning the tank had a 50% water change and both puffers were swimming happily and their tails were open again. I have again added a half measure of API white spot cure which has worked wonderfully in my other tank. The white spots have faded slightly but still clearly visible, the main difference being in there 'happier' nature. Funny how visibly they can convey their mood!

To answer the question on water treatment for my water changes, I use stress coat and stress zyme each time mixed into the water and leave for 15 mins. before adding to the tanks. I've always wondered about how long I should leave it before putting in the tanks?

I'll update on any progress tomorrow.
Thanks for all the support.

Stefan

Stress zyme is a bottled bacteria product that has an unproven track record. Stress coat will not help with toxins such as ammonia or nitrite or detox heavy metals and needs to be double dosed with chloramines. Save yourself some money and switch to using Prime- it works pretty much instantly, too, so there is no waiting.

Thanks for the advice about using Prime. I must admit I thought that Stress coat was OK but now I have to question my belief.
What about the zyme product, I use it to boost up the bacteria ! I see that prime claims to get rid of the ammonia but in that case what is he 'ammonia eating bacteria' going to survive on...? Is that a stupid question... I am a little tired this evening....

Thanks for the advice about using Prime. I must admit I thought that Stress coat was OK but now I have to question my belief.
What about the zyme product, I use it to boost up the bacteria ! I see that prime claims to get rid of the ammonia but in that case what is he 'ammonia eating bacteria' going to survive on...? Is that a stupid question... I am a little tired this evening....
Actually, it doesn't get rid of ammonia and nitrite, it detoxifies it, so it won't be as toxic for the fish.

Found prime at Warehouse aquatics at £10.99 for a 250ml bottle... Think I might purchase. It would work out cheaper than stress coat and stress zyme as its far more concentrated, I'll have to get hold of a syringe as well I think.

Ask your local pharmacy/drugstore for a 1ml or 5ml syringe (or both). Most will give you one for free. If you know anyone with little kids, they are likely to a bunch extra because most infant/kids meds come with a 1 or 5ml syringe. I know I have a bunch!

Update...

Hi, lost one of the puffers this morning. He gradually changed colour to a light green & although he was eating well passed away...

My remaining puffer wasn't looking so good so decided to return him to the well cleaned tank that was set back up with new sand (well washed) an existing filter from another tank, this has been running for a few days.

He seems to be better in the fact that his correct colour has returned but he isn't eating. I'm keeping the light low, performed. 25% WC with a little aquarium salt and some API white spot cure.

This evening he hasn't changed much. Swims about abut then rests among the plants. Oh and I did switch to using Prime.

Stefan

Back
Top Bottom