White Spot Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constantinos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys! I'm new here and I kinda need your help.
So, I've bought 3 new discus for my 70 gallon freshwater aquarium, and once I've started the process to insert them I've noticed some white spots on them. But, I couldn't decide if they were parts of the fish colour or white spots. Today, I see clearly round white spots on one of my Discus. Also, smaller, not-perfectly-shaped white spots on the other Discus.
So, I think I already know the answer, but are my fish infected by the white spot disease? If yes, could my JBL medicine for white spots affect the rest of my fish? Because I haven't got any other aquarium to place them in.
Cheers!

P.S: I'm uploading some photos so you can see what I'm talking about. The water's not cloudy, just some fingerprints on my lenses

Attachments

• IMG_8266.jpg
    IMG_8266.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8267.jpg
    IMG_8267.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8272.jpg
    IMG_8272.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8284.jpg
    IMG_8284.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 70
That looks pretty much what I've got going on in my tank (ich). Starting heat and salt treatment in just a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Once a tank is infected with Ich there is no reason to move the fish. All you would be doing is infecting an additional tank.

I can't really tell if that is Ich from the pictures but it could be.

What temperature are you keeping your tank at?

You can typically kill Ich without medications simply by raising the temps. Discus can usually tolerate very high temps since most discus keepers have there temps set in the mid 80's normally.

I've had very good luck treating with heat and salt (even with "sensitive" catfish). My tank is at 86 degrees now and will be adding salt little by little throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Once a tank is infected with Ich there is no reason to move the fish. All you would be doing is infecting an additional tank.

I can't really tell if that is Ich from the pictures but it could be.

What temperature are you keeping your tank at?

You can typically kill Ich without medications simply by raising the temps. Discus can usually tolerate very high temps since most discus keepers have there temps set in the mid 80's normally.
Thank You for your help Dalto!
I'm keeping my tank at a temperature of 86 Degrees Farenheit = 30 Degrees Celcius. Should I increase the temp more?

At around 90 degrees fahrenheit the Ich should die. So increasing it to 92-ish for a few days should end the problem without meds or salt. Alternatively you could treat with salt. Whatever you are more comfortable with.

If you increase the temperatures make sure to do it slowly.

At around 90 degrees fahrenheit the Ich should die. So increasing it to 92-ish for a few days should end the problem without meds or salt. Alternatively you could treat with salt. Whatever you are more comfortable with.

If you increase the temperatures make sure to do it slowly.
I think increasing the temp slowly is the best option.
Btw, I also have 6 neon tetras, and 1 betta fish which I keep an eye on it to not bother my discus, and it never does. So, will these fish be affected by the increasing of temp?

* UPDATE*
So both white spots on my Blue Turquoise Discus are disappeared! And I haven't done anything from what you've told me because it was 3 in the morning here, in Cyprus. So I'm not sure that the other yellow melon discus have the ich as well!?
So, is it white spot disease or not? I'm confused.

Back
Top Bottom