White spot medicin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rjaber77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi There,

I purchased this medicine and I plan to use it in my planted tank

I am sure my fishes are sick with white spot

My question is:
1- Is this medicine good and enough to remove the ICH (white spot) ? If YES, please advise how to use it, dose, for how long etc..
(My tank size is 120 litter)

2- Is this formula affecting my plants !?? I don't want to lose my plants at all !

Please advise me ..

Thanks a lot .,,

RJ

Attachments

• image-2997220416.jpg
    image-2997220416.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi Dudes,

Please, I need URGENT advice if i can use this medicine safe without screwing my plants or not ! ?

Thanks a lot .,

Raed

It depends. I've never heard of this before. What are the ingredients?

I personally would say skip the meds and just go with heat treatment. Slowly raise the temperature by 1 - 2 degrees every hour until the temp hits 86 degrees. Keep it at that level for 1 week or 3 days after there is no longer any sign of ich, whichever is longer.

Here is an article on treating it I would give it a read in your situation.
ich.php

Thanks Mebbid,

I just raised the heater control up to 86 f
I will keep it for few days on that temp

I hope not to harm my plants :(

I have question,
This high temps is not heart for the fishes !?

Thanks .,

Rj

Woah! Slow down there! An immediate rise of temp like that can harm the fish. I said 1 degree increments to raise the temperature.

The fish can handle the high temps as long as its done slowly.

:)
Yeah i got your point
Actually my heater is small one and will not heat the water that fast
maximum 3 degrees per hour as i have big tank for that heater

Thanks a lot brother for the advice ..:)

I am still learning and I have no problem to start from "point zero" in case I failed keep everything balanced

Best regards.,
Raed

Hi Rjaber77. Most ich (white spot) medications are not compatible with planted aquariums. I'm not familiar with this medication, either. The heat method works in most cases. I've used Kordon Ich Attack with heat to successfully treat ich. Kordon Ich Attack is one of the few ich meds you can use in a planted tank. I still lost some fish, but the survivors are doing fine.

Good luck to you and your fish.

Thanks a lot Dudes
Your advices are very worthy

I think I know the reason for the ICH in my tank!
3 weeks back weather was suddenly very cold and the water get cold quickly and then. Temp was fluctuate a lot during this period ! :( so the ICH started with my Ottos first then infected the whole tank !

I purchase heater 4 days back and since then, the water temp is stable

Now the temp in the tank is 28 C I just raise it to 29 fifty min back after 10 min will raise it again to 30 C

The other big problem that I have now is, today is the water change and cleaning time in my tank :( !

Any ideas or advices ?
Shall I proceed in water change, ((the normal water temp out the tank is 24)) this will surely cause big problem. Am I right ?

Thanks

Raed
-----------

i believe you have to match the temp of new water to your tank water. you would have to heat it up one way or another.

i usually do this in 2 ways. you could crank the hot water up from faucet (assuming you have access to hot tap water). or you could place a heater in your bucket that is used for a water change and let the new water sit with heater for maybe 1-2 hours (i do this for my shrimp tank as im afraid of copper leeching from hot pipes).
there are other ways, but ive never tried it as im not sure if its safe or not (like heating the water in a big pot on your stove).

i usually do this in 2 ways. you could crank the hot water up from faucet (assuming you have access to hot tap water). or you could place a heater in your bucket that is used for a water change and let the new water sit with heater for maybe 1-2 hours (i do this for my shrimp tank as im afraid of copper leeching from hot pipes). there are other ways, but ive never tried it as im not sure if its safe or not (like heating the water in a big pot on your stove).
Hi Liberator

Very smart and useful ways :)
I think heating the new water is much easier to me

Thanks

Raed
--------

Hi Guys

I purchased this today
Seachem Para Guard

They told it is the best for planted aquarium fish sick !

It is not containing copper so it will not harm the plants at all

I start the first dose today with keeping the temp on 30 C

Thanks

Raed
---------

Attachments

• image-3258840375.jpg
    image-3258840375.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 34
I've used paraguard to treat ich, in combination with the heat method. I used an airstone to oxygenate the water, but I never saw any signs that oxygen was low.

You have to be careful when adding medication to a heated tank- warm water has less oxygen, and meds also lower oxygen.

So add an airstone, and watch for signs.

I found paraguard + heat to be a very effective treatment.

you know whats ironic? this morning i woke up to see my betta has ich (after doing a wc). im thinking its ich because of shiney white dots (salt/dust like) are everywhere on him. however he is still energetic as always and eats well. dont want to take any chances so right away i started increasing temp gradually to 85 (however it fluctuates to 88 sometimes as it is a 2.5g tank...). and i added some aquarium salt.
there is less shiney dots now than before... but as i have never battled ich before, i dont know what to expect...

oh i checked the ammonia levels and it was 0.25, and then i realised there was a decaying dead plant (part of an anubia) in the tank, so that is probably what caused the ich (bad water). i removed it and did a wc.
im also going to guess the ich hitchhiked from some used substrate that i got from a lfs... so lesson learned, either dont use used substrate, or disinfect thoroughly!

This is the best article I've found on treating itch:

Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

You will see more white spots if you use the heat treatment as it speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. That's why it's important either to treat with salt, or to increase the heat to the point where the parasite cannot infect any more.

If you don't increase the heat enough, it will only cause the parasite to reproduce more quickly which will eventually kill your fish.

From the link:
"Increase temperature to 30°C/86°F. With tropical fish, an increase in temperature to 30°C/86°F is usually very well-tolerated. Since this temperature prevents reproduction of Ich, it can theoretically cure the problem by itself. So the first step would be to increase the temperature slowly, 1°C/2°F per hour until the correct temperature is reached. This temperature should be maintained for 10 days, and then slowly returned to normal. Some fish can tolerate higher temperatures. If your fish are more heat tolerant, try increasing the temperature to 32°C/89.5°F for the first 3-4 days to kill the Ich. Then reduce temperature slowly to 30°C/86°F, and hold it there for an additional 6-7 days, or until a total of 10 days have passed. Gauge the heat tolerance of your fish by observing their reaction."

well im at my 3rd day with temp 88 f, and there is a significant decrease of shiney spots. i am pleased. temperature and salt seems to be working.

ps.
i dont know why but i always get real nervous when temps get higher than 85 and close to 90. the water feels warm (especially if its winter and cold) and i feel like the fish might get cooked lol. i had a dream last night that my betta was boiled to death! :/
bettas can tolerate 88 degrees right?

Hi

I am on the treatment since four days
I am dosing daily para guard and temp is on 29 - 30 C
I was planning to get another heater to go higher than 30 and keep it on 33 C
But didn't get time

The good news:
The white spot has got less on the discuss and disappeared from the tetras :)

I will keep treatment another 4 days till make sure all ICH has gone

Thanks
Raed
-------

Back
Top Bottom