white spot on bottom lip of threadfin rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello out there,

I have been treating a white spot on bottom lip of my four male threadfin rainbows for about a month. I've been treating as if columnaris with salt and kanamycin as instructions.

I treated in quarantine tank for a few weeks and it seemed to almost diminish on all of them. Put back in big tank and it seemed to come back.

been treating for another few weeks along with Potassium permanganate baths two have almost no spot, one very little, and the one pictured has it about the same as he always had.

I see some pictures of threadfins online and some seem to have this spot. I am starting to wonder if it is not columnaris but a natural part of the fish. Also it could be something else.

I had an outbreak of columnaris which took a couple of my celebes rainbows. One had it on his back, and one around mouth. It actually caused tissue loss and lesions around his mouth. So I treated these guys the same. Salt would help other problems, along with the kanamycin for some others.

Any thought and here are some lousy pics:
Thanks
img_2180480_0_e0c5c79460d1d7f8756570e8ca4df7e8.jpg

img_2180480_1_426196e91acddfc2b265477c4b884b85.jpg

img_2180480_2_8f668d6c22f1f309a8405d2195b94b63.jpg

img_2180480_3_46d5901ac65fa3228c12bebdd6e3df06.jpg

I have Kamaka Rainbows with the same white bottom lip, I thought that was some type of illness, but after some time seeing with that and they swimming , eating, and behaving normally, I came to the conclusion that, if is not 100% normal, it is not bad either.

So my Rainbows have been with the "issue" like 6 months already....at least that is my experience.

I hope that yours have the same issue.

all my males have had this. I could never find any info on it. My females never got it. It went away after about a week of them being in the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom