White spots on new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milknhoney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank FINALLY cycled, and last Saturday we went and my daughter picked out four fish for her tank: black molly, guppy, purple glowfish tetra, mickey mouse platy. Now already they appear to have little white spots on them.

We got the tank last May and I tried to do a fish-in cycle with two platys. They both grew a bunch of white spots all over them and were dead in two weeks. Then we got four danios and they were dead in under a week. They also all had the white fuzzy spots.

So after taking an incredibly long time to figure out how to get it cycled (adding the sponge filter did the trick), here we are with fish again. They all seem to be acting normal. I tested their water and ammonia and nitrites are at zero. The white spots are very subtle, but having seen them before I'm pretty sure I know what I'm seeing.

Is there anything I can do to prevent its continued growth? My daughter will be absolutely devastated if any more fish die.

I really have no idea, but after reading up on different fish diseases and looking at pictures people have posted, I thought that the previous fish were suffering from columnaris. I don't know how right I am, and if there is any reason to think that these fish would have the same thing.

My tank: 10 gallons, gravel, plastic plants, castle, undergravel filter with powerhead, sponge filter with air pump. Food is Tetra Color tropical flakes.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Here's two of them:

Attachments

• Molly.jpg
    Molly.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Platy.jpg
    Platy.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 58
TBH that doesn't look like white spot to me. I can only that that it is some kind of fungus. If you havn't clean or treated the tank after the danios ot might be the same as what they had.

Yes I did clean the tank after the danios. I rinsed everything, ran the tank with hydrogen peroxide and water, rinsed again.

So how do I treat my fish for fungus?

Last time I added sea salt and tea tree. This time I'did rather get some expert advice first.

I'm thinking a pwc is in order, but not sure how much or if I should add anything to the new water.

Back
Top Bottom