White stuff all over my rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lifter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally finished my cycle process and i put some life into my tank. I have a torch coral and 15 hermit crabs and a starfish. The last few days it's been pretty hot in my room where i have my tank the water has been up to a high temp of 84f. This morning when woke up i had white stuff all over my rock where it use to be purple. Can someone tell me what this might be. Someone here at work told me it could be my allege is dieing.

lifter said:
Someone here at work told me it could be my allege is dieing.
Sounds like they might be right from what you've stated so far. Coralline is usually very resiliant and often comes back after any die off from the cycle process. Excess heat will cause problems but I do not think 84° will cause bleaching by itself.

Could you provide some additional details about the tank set up and water parameters?

Cheers
Steve

I have a 11 gallon tank with Power compact lights. 18w + 2. Im not quite sure what my water parameters are atm because i have not got a test kit yet. : /

Take a water sample to the LFS and get them to run the basic tests to be sure, include alk/Ca if possible. How did you determine the tank was ready for animals without any type of test kits?

Cheers
Steve

My LFS told me everything was good to go. I have not taken my water in for any tests in about 2- 3 weeks : / tuesday i will take my water in

If you can please also purchase some test kits so you can run tests on demand at home. Having to rely on your LFS for water quality tests while it might be alot cheaper on you can be rather inconvient expecially if you discover your having problems late at nite or soon after the LFS closes.

Back
Top Bottom