White stuff on pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
My pleco looks like it has a white hump on it's left fin and two on it's right fin. I can't get any pictures now .. but it's just like a really noticable whiteish marking. Looks like something clinging to it.

what other fish are in your tank
how big is your tank
does your temp in your tank change rapidly

without pics i can know for sure but it sounds like somthing might be picking on it or you might have ich.
try and post some pics

my green chromis had something that sounded similar. it looked like someone chewed a piece of marshmellow and stuck it on his side. i asked my manager and he said its not ich, cuz like fishyfanatic said..it looks like salt or sugar granules...he said what it was called. i forgot what the name was, but told me it wold go away on its own, i got a couple more opinions and they said the same thing, i waited it out and its all gone. some kind of fungus. but not saying its what your fish has, if its something else it could be fatal.

My pleco had the same kind of thing, right at the junction of the pectoral fins and body. It was kind of white and fluffy looking but as blindskate said it cleared up on it's own. I wouldn't worry too much but keep and eye on it and if it's getting worse seek more information.

If it looks like salt or sugar granuals, it is ich. You need to elevate the temp in the tank above 88 degrees (slowly) and keep it up there for at least 2 weeks after seeing the last speck of ich. Keep up with regular water changes and it should go away with the elevated temp. Do not add salt or any other medications to the tank.

Yeah, the stuff my pleco had wasn't sugary or granular, more like a blobby thing, like soggy wonder bread (blech). So it sounds like it might be different.

No no. I think I got caught up with being happy that it WAS not ich so I said it looked sugary. It's the fluffy gummy looking stuff that's being described as something that will just go away.

Lol, sorry!

Thanks!

Here's the best I could do. I don't know how to get those amazing close ups everyone gets, mine come out blurry, even with digital zoom. It's on the left and right fin.

img_860247_0_18a6f51da49d95fc7255f4cbfe0d4466.jpg

img_860247_1_02d35ea38c8c9217518396bbd7dcb2b9.jpg

img_860247_2_45fc565232f68ebcdb704e807dde2abd.jpg

So, what is it? :S

I can't see anything on him. Try using the Macro setting on the camera. It's the setting with the flower.

I tried using that setting, the pictures never came out any better though.

The white stuff is slowly going away though. :)

Back
Top Bottom