White thing on fish. Very urgent help required please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys last night before I slept I noticed some white thing on one of my fish. It was very little but I wake up to see it is spreading. Doesn't look like ich. It effected on back and a very small spot neat the mouth. Please help me what UT is and what treatment is required. All other fish are fine. Please help asap. Thanks.

1488279290970.jpg
1488279305654.jpg

Well, I don't know what it is but it looks really bad, like it's rotting, has to be something in/with the water. I'd try to right that tank ASAP or else you're going to lose fish, fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I don't know what it is but it looks really bad, like it's rotting, has to be something in/with the water. I'd try to right that tank ASAP or else you're going to lose fish, fast.

U mean I need to change water or add some medicine? Is it fungus?

I don't know, this is brackish?? Looks bacterial.

Yes brackish. I don't know which medicine to use. I am unsure what this actually is.

I'm guessing here, could be extreme fin rot, antibiotics may be a good approach, if nothing else go to pet store and see what's on the shelf, lfs will have better meds most likely. I'd do something sooner than later. I have no idea how to dose a brackish tank with meds vs fw so you'll have to figure that out. I'd just move fast. A good wc now and another tonight should help.

I don't know how to use common human antibiotics for fish tank like people use. I will go to pet store now but don't know what to get really. And I changed the water three days ago just.

I can't isolate it. Thats the problem. Its very strange. I changed the water three days ago and I have a UV sterilizer on 24/7 in tank. Very strange to such problem and specially the way it spreads. API products aren't available here. We have medicine available in LFS. Almost all kinds of Medicine but I don't know if its fungus or bacterial infection and shall I buy for fungus or a normal anti biotic. Very confused.

Isn't this tank overstocked? Wcs need to be as frequent as the stocking/water quality dictates. Fin rot in a fw setup is usually a dead giveaway as to the quality of the water.. poor...

Isn't this tank overstocked? Wcs need to be as frequent as the stocking/water quality dictates. Fin rot in a fw setup is usually a dead giveaway as to the quality of the water.. poor...

I was too busy to do the weekly water change and water remain in tank same for like three weeks. Yes it is overstocked.

Car won't start, opens hood, looks in and sees the entire engine compartment is packed solid with mud... well there's your problem;) you answered your own question. You know what you have to do. No one on this forumn can fix that problem, only you can. Change the water. Simple.

Car won't start, opens hood, looks in and sees the entire engine compartment is packed solid with mud... well there's your problem;) you answered your own question. You know what you have to do. No one on this forumn can fix that problem, only you can. Change the water. Simple.

Sir I understand that. I did change water three days ago and I will change now ofcourse but however I am sure this problem won't eradicate itself now just by water changes. I need to do medication treatment. If only I know what is the name of this problem. White fungus or some other bacterial infection.

Have you searched it? It's out there. Many extensive ailment lists on google. You can't let thing go like that. Have to stay on top of it. And yah, actually tail rot can be healed with pristine one water alone, salt has to help to. You testing water? What are your parameters, one small wc isn't going reset 3 weeks of neglect in an overstocked tank. Have to bang out some small wcs everyday for the next week. 25% twice a day. Not sure how tricky that is with brackish water/fish.

Have you searched it? It's out there. Many extensive ailment lists on google. You can't let thing go like that. Have to stay on top of it. And yah, actually tail rot can be healed with pristine one water alone, salt has to help to. You testing water? What are your parameters, one small wc isn't going reset 3 weeks of neglect in an overstocked tank. Have to bang out some small wcs everyday for the next week. 25% twice a day. Not sure how tricky that is with brackish water/fish.

I did change water. Went to store. Show they guy picture. He said its fin rot and caused by bacteria and gave me this medicine

1488321602534.jpg

I asked him the label says freshwater. He said its for brackish too and they do treat there brackish tanks with this. However I came home and as soon as I put the medicine the target fish got to the floor and now its half lying on gravel and breathing heavily like its going to die anytime soon. Very sad.

I lost her. All my fault. I had so many issues going on to not change water as usual. Water was looking clear as air even after three weeks. So I thought I could do a little neglecting. But all my fault that poor fish died.

I want to know that I see like hundreds of tanks in LFS do they change water like every week? I honestly didn't believe its so necessary to change as a strict rule. My tank is overstocked but I am running two big powerhead filters including a UV sterilizer. Didn't expect this to happen. But lesson learned now I will change 30 percent water weekly even if I am on my death bed. Very sorry to see the poor fish go.

Ok the disease is still there I did water changes and treated the tank with medicine from store but I see another fish with same white patch below gills and some on tail. Also noticed another one getting it. Very mild patch on skin appearing.

What are my options now? I was reading about it and found few people used general human use antibiotics to there tanks. Have anyone of u tried that? Also is common home salt helps to remove this problem?

If I remove those fish and arrange a temporary tank. Is common salt helps more or aquarium or marine salt more preferable?

Get some heavy antibiotics..doxycycline

Get some heavy antibiotics..doxycycline

Thanks and generally how much tablets or capsules per say 10 litters or per like 3 gallons I can add? This will give me idea on how much I need for my tank. Please reply. Thanks

Hey I use tetra life guard tablets as a gen med. and i have seen fin rot and bacterial infections clear up after five days for new fish.

and powerheads as far as I know just move water around. they are mechanical filters not biological. so they won't really help with nitrates, nitrates, or ammonia.
I have tried experimenting with going longer without water changes myself and I think the fish suffer for it. I do fifty percent water changes on my fish tanks every week or more if a fish dies or I feel like the water is cloudy. And my tank isn't overstocked and it's over-filtered.

As for water clarity, you could have really nasty water and it be clear. Think of it as comparable to poisoned air. you don't have to see the bad stuff for it to be dangerous/lethal.

Good luck. There's a learning curve to the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom