White worm-like thread, coming out of my LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know... I'm making this tough with no picture. But it's pretty quick and unpredictable.

I've got cured LR in my tank for 2 weeks now, the tank has cycled, but is still fishless. After the lights went out tonight, I went hunting with the flashlight. Fun stuff. Anyway...

In two spots on a chunk of live rock, there was what looked like a translucent white thread (about 1mm in diameter?) that extended from a pore in the rock, reached about 1/2 inch out to another part of the rock, and then retracted back in. It did this about 6 times, and then stopped. At first I thought it was some type of worm, but as it extended it didn't look wormlike. (I've spotted a couple bristleworms... I know what those look like!)

Is this some type of coral sweeper tentacle? I thought corals would be obvious on the surface if they were on the rock. Any clues?

I agree. Try a flashlight with a red lense, you will see waaaay more stuff.

Thanks! Good name, as it does pretty much look like a real thin piece of spaghetti.

I'll try the red light trick. I've currently got a couple blue LED lunar lights on at night which make tank watching fun. The more stuff I see, the more amazed I am with these little critters. They go through a lot before they get to my tank, and they're still alive!

Back
Top Bottom