White worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have danio fry that are just a week old. I came home today to find white worms all over the glass of the tank. I done a test and my nitrite is quite high. Between 2 to 5 ppm . Ammonia 0.5 to 1 ppm. I know this is not good. Done a water change which I was going to do anyway this evening and gave the gravel a good vacuum. The worms seem to be gone. I did noticd the fry picking at them once the lights were on. Any help greatly appreciated

Look up detritus worms to see if that is what you have. You need to do a couple 50% WC's to get ammonia and nitrites down to .25ppm or lower. Also test your tap water to see if ammonia and nitrites are present. Be sure to do a large weekly WC, along with gravel vacuuming, and be sure not to overfeed. You will find just doing these 3 things can help keep detritus worm populations down.

I know the tap water is reasonably ok as I have an aquarium running 2 yrs and only ever had 1 ammonia spike. I think it may have been waste food as I was conscious of not under feeding the fry but think I went too far the other way. Have water de chlorinating at the minute to do another change in the morning hope the little guys survive

It looks like detritus worms ok. The fry seen to be nibbling at them

Back
Top Bottom