Whites spots help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And you're right that Ich doesn't just happen. First off it needs to be introduced from an outside source as it is not always present in the water column as so many people will try to tell you. Once introduced though it still isn't a huge threat as long as your tank is clean and maintaned. It's once one fish is stressed or sick or just vulnerable is when it will take advantage of the situation and be able to infect the first one and then spread from there.

Also the belief that once Ich is in your system it never leaves is also a myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the ich came from the minnows I bought from my lfs I bought some box ich and had aquarium salt started the cure process yesterday and problem seems to be a bit better since then

Live foods are often a source of disease. I have heard of people who have a separate QT for their live foods, they use separators to discern when each batch was bought, and only feed them after they have been cleared over a 5-10 day period.

The downside to this is if there is a problem like Ich, every fish in the QT could be contaminated.

ALSO

It is wise to not add the water the feeder fish come in to the tank. Empty them into a bucket of water and then net them either into another container of YOUR water, a QT, or into the tank.

The only live foods I've been using as of late are the ones that I maintain myself. I have a few colonies of shrimp (Cherrie's, Malayan, Rili's) that are recovering recently and one of my tanks has a great colony of copepods which some of the fish love other than that I use all frozen foods to avoid any issues. I really like the Piscene Energetics foods. The Mysis Shrimp have 69.5% protein vs. like 5% for any others. It wasn't to long before a number of females were bright yellow and they've been pumping them out the last couple months. With water changes and feeding cycles some of these Apisto's cycles are easy to control. With the right food and conditions you can get them to breed whenever you want.

I have a extra 20 gallon tank what can I put in there to feed a red tail , oscar, JD and a pike cichlid? I buy minnows 2 times a week and buy 2 dozen at a time

Maybe some guppies? They should readily breed as well so you wouldn't have to keep spending money on minnows. Try doing a search on it, I'm sure many people have done it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom