Who had a FO tank first, and who started with a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who started with FO and who started with a reef?

• FO first

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freshwater then FO

• Reef first

• Total voters

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now, before anyone starts out with the: reefs are not recommended for beginners thing, I know. I plan to start with FOWLR, but i was just curious as to who started out with a reef, and what there experiences were.

How did you decide which to start with?

For those who started with a reef, do you regret doing so?

For those who started with a reef, what mistakes did you make because of that decision?

For those who started with FO, do you feel that you could have started with a reef?

I started 10 yrs ago with my reef tank. It was hard at first but eventually we made it. The most important thing I did was I went slowly. That is the best advice I can give. I would add only one at a time and wait for the bioload to biuld up. Started with a 55 and went to a 125. That`s where I am today. You can view my tank in my sig. where it says "view my tank". It`s been a 10 yr project.

That's the impression I'm starting to get. That its possible to start out with a reef as long as you start slow and do a lot of planning. I'm still treating a reef aquarium as a possibility, but i need to find out a bit more about it. I do have experience with freshwater, and that appears to help a bit.

Reef is only as difficult as you make it :p You can start out simply, relatively easily, and very inexpensively with various polyps/zoos, mushrooms. Just take it slow!

I started with freshwater then went to reef. You can definitley start with a reef tank with no freshwater experience, it's all in the setup and how well you prepare for things. :)

Nikkiheartsfish said:
Reef is only as difficult as you make it :p You can start out simply, relatively easily, and very inexpensively with various polyps/zoos, mushrooms. Just take it slow!

Bingo!

I have no freshwater experience. My tank was FOWLR for about 3 months! Then some zoanthids. Then a maze brain (platygyra). Then another fish. Then a fungia. Then 3 chromis. You get the idea...

Take it slow, and know exactly what your water parameters are along the way, and it's absolutely no problem - as long as you stick with fairly easy, low maintenance corals. Don't make your first purchase a bunch of acroporas or goniporas or something that is really fussy.

With my experience, I really don't see any difference in tank maintenance or attitude between FOWLR and Reef. Either way, you want to keep the water as good as you can get it.

Back
Top Bottom