Who here has mixed Rainbow sharks in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am wondering about their diet. I have an mbuna tank and finally got a Rainbow shark of suitable size to add in. Theyre all juveniles around 1.5-3.5" and the shark has stood it's grounds well so far. But i just added him today. Seems like he might take over the tank lol I seem to be seeing that rainbow sharks primarily eat vegetable based food, and apparently some mainly feed off of the algae. I feed my fish NLS cichlid sinking pellets and spirulina flakes, alternating between the two. Would anybody have recommendations for the "shark"? I dont want to mess with the mbunas tendency to bloat

Thanks guys

Those foods should be fine. I keep a 5 1/2 inch rainbow with mbuna including acei. I feed NLS thera A+ and omega cichlid flake with no issues. I bought my rainbow two years ago at around 1.5", he is now nearing 6".

Ok good to hear. I just wanted to double check that I'm not missing a part of its diet. Do you find that he eats readily with your mbuna or just the leftovers?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He will eat flake and the small NLS pellets willingly. He can't consume the hikari gold larger pellets. Aside from his feeding on what I add to the tank he is constantly scavenging. I have fake plants that accrue algae on the leaves, he will hover in place and clean each single leaf. These guys truly don't get credit for what a good cleaner they are. He is constantly browsing for a free meal.

Mine is still exploring and is starting to venture out into the open more. He didn't know to come out when I was feeding them, but that usually happens when I add new fish until they get the routine. I made sure to throw extra in to get into the rocks since I was going to do a water change after anyways. Does your stay out of sight more or stay out with the rest? It seems to go either way from the tanks I've seen

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine is constantly moving about the tank. He alternates between free swimming out in the open and feeding on every surface in the tank. He is most always visible. The cichlids never bother him.

Mine is constantly moving about the tank. He alternates between free swimming out in the open and feeding on every surface in the tank. He is most always visible. The cichlids never bother him.

Ok good to hear. Mine still stays in the shadows but is starting top venture out more. Nobody messes with him, and he is very adamant about people staying out of his spots when he is around lol I love how this fish looks in the tank too

Back
Top Bottom