Who killed my shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had two orange cherry shrimp in a 20 long with 6 Galaxy rasboras (the tiny ones), 1 amono shrimp, and tons of pest snails. I had three nerite snails who seemed to all pass the same day, completely still half in/out of the shell. When I touch them they sucked back in. We moved them to our dafnia bucket out side.

I broke down and bought four assassin snails. Day two, one orange shrimp dead. Day five I saw him very close to the assasin snail and a few minutes later he was half dead on his side. He passed over night.

We DID treat the tank with prazi and metro before the snails got sick. But the shrimps seemed okay until after we got the assassins.

Any guesses?

Sent from my iPhone

I've heard of assassin snail's killing shrimp before maybe it's been them?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dead snails can contaminate water if not removed. Not sure the ingredients in Metro and Prazi but Copper also kills shrimp quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fwiw, Hikari, who make Prazi Pro, advise removing all inverts before using it, though it is not supposed to kill them.

I doubt Assassin snails can kill a healthy shrimp. Not their prey of choice for one, for another, a healthy shrimp can easily outrun any snail that tried to crawl over it. If the shrimp was already dying, any snail might eat it.

Back
Top Bottom