Whoops on a new 5 gallon frog tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_beautifulplace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am completely new to this forum, but I am also new to the aquarium, plants, and fish hobby.

My girlfriend and I have gotten completely hooked on aquariums. live plants, and of course, the fish. We have a very healthy planted ten gallon and she really wanted to get a couple frogs for the tank but we just ran out of room too fast. So she went and bought a little five gallon tank for her frogs and a couple fish. She has two dwarf frogs, two plattys, and a small live plant with a bamboo stick and a couple rocks and driftwood. She cleaned everything off, rinsed the gravel, used clean buckets, has a pump filter, 20% treated tap and 80% r/o water, but she DID use a "bacteria starter" (unsure of which one exactly but used the correct amount.) She was told that, on the day of setup (with the bacteria starter) the frogs would be okay to put in right away and that adding fish would be a 50/50 chance. So we put the frogs in, they were happy as can be, then we came home with the fish, put those guys in and it was after that that the water started to get cloudy. Now, one day after set up, one of the platty's has died, and the frogs seem kinda stressed, and the water is hazy.

We are both really new to this and may have acted a bit too quickly, but I guess it was only because we were told that the bacteria starter, or whatever it is, would even require us to put something in the tank within 24 hours.

I'm going over there tomorrow with the test kit to check out the water but it kinda looks like bacteria bloom or blossoming. Bascially, we just don't really know what direction to turn from here, we don't want to kill our new friends but realize that there is a possibility that may happen to all of them if we don't turn the water around. HELP! :confused:

The tank was not cycled prior to adding fish. The bacteria starter isn't going to change anything. My guess would be your critters are suffering and succumbing to ammonia poisoning. More info would help:

Ammonia?
Nitrate?
Nitrite?
pH?
Temp?

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and how it works in an aquarium? It is vitally important. Check out the 2 links below... they will help you gain an understand of why an aquarium works.

CYCLING WITH FISH
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

FISHLESS CYCLING
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

In addition to what fort has mentioned....

You said you had an established 10g? You can pull some of the filter media/substrate from the 10g (don't take too much filter media) and seed the 5g with it. This will help establish the colony of nitrifying bacteria quicker, as long as you keep up on water changes until the ammonia doesn't test anymore.

I will say, a 5g is not big enough for platy. I'm not familiar with frogs though, so I can't really suggest any fish that would be appropriate for a 5g.

Back
Top Bottom