WHoops : /

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petitemonk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well Iam in umm I belive its my 6th week of cycling.. and Some algy is starting to grow... It is Brown and green... well I think it is alge. And I couldnt figure out where it came from.... But then I took a look at my water discharge from my Filter and It is barly comming out... So I took out my filter. And I saw that it is coverd with what looks like green alge... Is this normal? Do i buy a new filter or do i clean this one? and how do i clean it? and Does this effect the cycle? THanks in advance for the help : )

My tank is about 7 weeks old now and I had an algae bloom and I did notice growth in my filters outflow. From what others have told me on this forum ...its normal for new tank to get brown algae and green algae for that matter. For my 30 gal I got 3 ottos and they did a great job clean up the tank. (especially the brown algae). As for the filter I mine is a canister so all I did was clean out the tubeing. All seems fine now, water parameter great and tank is crystal clear

What kind of filter do you have? Is it see-through? If so, clean the algae off and cover the filter with paper or cardboard.

I have a Marineland Millennium WET/DRY Multifilter... Its like little squares that have a screen infront of it. Its liek caked onto the screen.

Hmm this is wierd... Like I took out the filter and I cleaned off the stuff.. Then I put it back in... then i stirred my gravel and I took a water test... Am,NI, and NA are all at 0.... I tested it 3 times... no water change or any thing.... Does this mean iam done with my cycle? And I think I need to get a new filter... looks like the water isnt passing through my filter but falling over it like a dam. Any thoughts?

Welp i went to the fish store and bought a new filter cartridge... working fine now. but dang my tank is super cloudy atm. Iam doing a partial water change atm. Hopefully now that I got the alge cleaned out and the filter repleaced the tank will go back to normal look... BTw my one question still stands... am I finished with my cycle? My Nitrite and Nitrate bot evened out to 0 and ammoinua as well... been scence AUG 2 I started this cycle. Thx guys

Sounds to me like the tank is cycled. Keep testing Ammonia to see if a mini cycle is starting.

Back
Top Bottom