Whos plant is it anyway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS Chris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm really new at this. I just set up a 10 gallon planted tank this week. I have 4 red tail minnows ( that is the description not the actual names) I just know the guy said they are really hard to kill. I used 20 lbs of the bio complete and 10 gallons of water from another tanks water change. Should I have waited for the tank to cycle before adding the plants? Also they need a heater like the fish? Thanks!!
Chris

Awesome. Can you give them too much light? I've been keeping it on like 16 hours a day.

yes you can, plants need at least 8 hours of total darkness to complete photosynthesis, also having the lights on that long will just cause algae to grow, id recommend only 6-10 hours depending on plant needs.

Awesome. Can you give them too much light? I've been keeping it on like 16 hours a day.

I would be more concerned about algae growth. The usual amount of light per day is generally 6-8 hours per day. Of course that depends on the plants, the type of light, fertilization routine, CO2, etc.

you should try to raise the water level so you have less filter splash, all that extra surface agitation will remove Co2 from the aquarium.

yes you can, plants need at least 8 hours of total darkness to complete photosynthesis, also having the lights on that long will just cause algae to grow, id recommend only 6-10 hours depending on plant needs.

Thats not exactly true, you can leave light on 24/7 if you wanted, plants will just stop using it after about 8hrs and then algae will be the only one using it. People doing DSM(dry start method) dont always turn the light off but thats because they dont have to deal with algae

Thats not exactly true, you can leave light on 24/7 if you wanted, plants will just stop using it after about 8hrs and then algae will be the only one using it. People doing DSM(dry start method) dont always turn the light off but thats because they dont have to deal with algae

this is true that it will not harm the plants however, to a certain point plants no longer benefit from 24/7 lighting, and also alot plants to most of their growing at night and not during the day, so a period of darkness is more beneficial then not having one

if your not using any ferts you really need to get and use them. For your tank using Seachems Comprehensive 1 or 2 times a week along with API Leaf Zone which is Iron and Potassium will help your plants alot. Since it looks like you have Anacharis in your tank I can't recommend using liquid carbon but that also helps plants also with photosynthesis and growth. I would suggest using a heater unless you research each plant you have in your tank and verify they can all tolerate cooler water since many won't do well in cool water.

you should try to raise the water level so you have less filter splash, all that extra surface agitation will remove Co2 from the aquarium.

+1 on raising the water level. Less splash and noise and your filter will probably draw more water through it (less vertical distance to travel).

For your stem plants in the mid/foreground that look like Bacopa caroliniana, you might be able to replant each stem about 1" apart. That should allow more light to get to the lower parts of the stem and allow each bunch to cover a bigger area. As the stems reach the top, you can trim them back and replant them, expanding the growing area.

Not really. Many fish foods add phosphates to the tank which is a macro nutrient but you'd have to grossly overfeed IMO for them to add any significant amount.

My plants seem to be dying. It's a brand new tanks with new water. I have bio complete substrate. Plenty of light. I'm using leaf zone fert it only says to use it once a week. Should I use more since its a new startup with out much nutrients?

Leaf Zone is potassium and iron, nothing else. You need to also use something like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive with the Leaf Zone as it has many more types of nutrients in it. It looks like you have a T5HO light fixture which means the plants can grow fast which means they use more ferts. You may find along with using both ferts you might have to dose 2x a week. Also since you have higher light you should seriously consider using a liquid carbon like Excel or doing DIY CO2. Either of these used along with more ferts will give your plants much better growth.

When I looked at your plants they don't look like they are dying. They are leggy, which were it my tank I'd trim them down by about 1/2 and replant the tops along with the bottoms to make bigger groups which IMO looks much better. Also try planting all the bacopa in 2 larger groups. Plant each stem individually so the leaves on each stem almost but not quite touches the leaves of the stems around it.

That sounds great. Ty for the great info. I purchased flourish excel today. Do you think the flourish excel with the leaf zone will do the trick? Replanting tomorrow

That sounds great. Ty for the great info. I purchased flourish excel today. Do you think the flourish excel with the leaf zone will do the trick? Replanting tomorrow

excel will help but as rivercats said you are going to need flourish comprehensive which will dose the trace elements your plants need

Back
Top Bottom