whos the boss of your tank? (pics please)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mater ( cars, my nephews help name.....) an OB Zebra is the boss of my 140g Malawi tank.

The second is Lightning McQueen... He zips from one side to the other side of tank. He is a juvie pundamilia nyererie from lake Victoria.

My pink Convict Bolt( and wigglers) who is always " bolting around like a bull in a china shop" ( and movie) and kicking others out of their hut...

Urkel is my spotted green juvie puffer. He's a neat lil guy!!

Attachments

• image-1948418179.jpg
    image-1948418179.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1480006372.jpg
    image-1480006372.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Pundamilia nyererie is the most aggresive fish from the rift lakes I've owned, the males would destroy any other males and even killed fish twice their size...they don't live here any more.

They are in their own 90 g... They are still young, so I haven't seen that yet.... But thx for the warning :)

Dang, And I was just thinking how pretty they were. and when I finally get my 75g set up, I may get a few. Not now, after my serial killer RZ I had enough of out right killers. Aggression is one thing, just killing, I won't have it in my tanks either.

Dang, And I was just thinking how pretty they were. and when I finally get my 75g set up, I may get a few. Not now, after my serial killer RZ I had enough of out right killers. Aggression is one thing, just killing, I won't have it in my tanks either.

Most Victorians rival Malawi peacocks in color but some are a little fiestier than their counterparts.

Most Victorians rival Malawi peacocks in color but some are a little fiestier than their counterparts.

true.

my lake victorian "astatotilapia latifasciata" males were complete jerks to my malawi's, thats why i rehomed them even though the female was good

imagine a serial stalker living in your neighbourhood.
you walk to the shops, he's following 2 steps behind you.
you talk to a neighbours, and find out they all got stalked by the same guy. everyone gets real nervous and starts watching their back at all times.

he wasnt outright psychopath aggressive, he was a true stalker that just had everyone constantly on edge, always moving from one fish to another, never letting up.

i'd describe it best as the type of fish thats always looking to move a notch up the heirarchy ladder and stresses other fish to death with no peace and no rest

true.

my lake Victorian "astatotilapia latifasciata" males were complete jerks to my Malawi's, that's why i rehomed them even though the female was good

imagine a serial stalker living in your neighbourhood.
you walk to the shops, he's following 2 steps behind you.
you talk to a neighbours, and find out they all got stalked by the same guy. everyone gets real nervous and starts watching their back at all times.

He wasn't an outright psychopath aggressive, he was a true stalker that just had everyone constantly on edge, always moving from one fish to another, never letting up.

i'd describe it best as the type of fish thats always looking to move a notch up the heirarchy ladder and stresses other fish to death with no peace and no rest

WOW!!! He sounds just like my serial killer RZ. His method for stalking was different, he'd lie in wait in the plants. Then he'd lunge out and in one swift move, he'd remove their stomach.
He decimated my livestock in a week, both male and female, made no difference to him.

WOW!!! He sounds just like my serial killer RZ. His method for stalking was different, he'd lie in wait in the plants. Then he'd lunge out and in one swift move, he'd remove their stomach.
He decimated my livestock in a week, both male and female, made no difference to him.

mine never went in for the kill.

the most he'd do was little nips, kinda like "im gunna get ya!"

it would always be the biggest whimp getting stressed and hanging out at the filter or heater and not eating, the next day it'd be stuck on the filter intake :(

then in a week or two you'd find the next biggest whimp doing the same.
took me ages to realise it was him b'coz in the end none of the other males would tolerate him at all.
he was no serial killer, he was just an outright jerk.

but they did look nice, and if i had a victorian tank theyd be first on my list :)

mine never went in for the kill.

the most he'd do was little nips, kinda like "im gunna get ya!"

it would always be the biggest whimp getting stressed and hanging out at the filter or heater and not eating, the next day it'd be stuck on the filter intake :(

then in a week or two you'd find the next biggest whimp doing the same.
took me ages to realise it was him b'coz in the end none of the other males would tolerate him at all.
he was no serial killer, he was just an outright jerk.

but they did look nice, and if i had a victorian tank theyd be first on my list :)

No Sonny went in tor the kill. I didn't know who was doing it for a little over a week. I just kept finding what was left of them the next morning.
Then one afternoon I caught him lying in wait and in under 5 minutes he killed 2 fish. I promptly made arrangements for a new home for him and he was gone the next day.
Then I started the long process of restocking. It's only been tough because for some reason there has been a shortage of female Mbunas.

this is my tank's 2.I.C. , sometimes i think he/she does more boss work with keeping the others in line than the boss does himself.

a young blue dolphin, nearly 4"

Attachments

• 100_4475.jpg
    100_4475.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 174
my jack dempsey won a fight and now owns the tank
but other than that he is not agressive to new fish or the little guys

Attachments

• image-2564849804.jpg
    image-2564849804.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 168
  • image-1069644661.jpg
    image-1069644661.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 180
Ben my Kenyi. He is one tough boss, he keeps the tank in line. Its quite funny to see him when ever a little fight breaks out in the tank he goes butts in and puts all the fish in the tank where he wants them.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110719_134132.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_134132.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 148
  • ForumRunner_20110719_134148.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_134148.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 148
Big.Jon said:
Ben my Kenyi. He is one tough boss, he keeps the tank in line. Its quite funny to see him when ever a little fight breaks out in the tank he goes butts in and puts all the fish in the tank where he wants them.

Looks like everyone in the first pic is giving him his space lol

Funny enuf my BN Pleco Sucky is the boss of my tank. If he wants something or some space he makes sure he gets it. Pretty funny to watch.

Attachments

• image-1092135769.jpg
    image-1092135769.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom