Wht would be better for the tank????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have stock bulbs on my T5s. I'm not sure if I should get new bulbs or a vortech mp10 powerhead. I have 2 1400gph and 1 550. I do have tiny dead spots in the corners. Any thoughts?

Theoretically, you have about 4 months before you need to replace bulbs, so if you can get the money for bulbs again in that time period, then I would get the powerheads. If not, I'd replace the bulbs. Failing bulbs are notorious for promoting algae growth.

I do have a decent amount of algae that's why I was asking. I will have the money for the bulbs in 4 months. But not for the powerhead. One more question. Should I get a vortech mp10 (1500 gph) or a koralia that's rated for 2200? The vortech has really awesome features and I was thinking of using it as a wave maker to move more detritus around. Which on????? Also, the vortechs flow is a lot more spread out......... So it would more more places around...... I'm thinking vortech. What about you? The vortech is about $60 more expensive though.

The MP10 is not really geared towards a tank that size. One or a pair of MP40s will do better. 1500gph is the max, but the programs vary the speed greatly depending on which you use.

That's the only one I can afford right now. I'm 13 lol. I could either get this one now and the lights later, or just the lights later and not the vortech. Should I get the vortech or the koralia?????? I already have a 2 1400 and 1 550. Would the vortech work with that?

Or should I get the koralia 2200? The only reason I'm leaning towards the vortech is because of the wave feature.

Does anybody know what would benefit more!?!?!? I'm going tomorrow or the next day so I need to know!

Think long term. Save for the right powerheads to upgrade to.

Try moving your PH's around a little bit you may just get the flow your looking for The MP 10 is not going to make much of a difference even you run it wide open I had one on a 55 gl worked great, upgraded to a 8 ft long 180 and was a no go went with two 3200 gph pumps to get the needed flow

I'm not too familiar with it but Hydor makes a wave controller, might just be for 12v PH though. Fairly inexpensive if I recall.

I'd put one 1400 in each back corner (end of tank) aimed at the front center of the tank so the flow crashes into each other then put the 550 in the back center aimed up toward the front center A pinch of flake food will let you track the flow.

An mp10 is not worth the price for that size tank. And no it will not create a wave if so it would be minimal if anything. The MP40's are what you need. If you cant afford them then i suggest a pair of some higher rated koralias.

Ps since ive seen your having a nitrate problem, more flow will definitely help. Keeping everything suspended will help out a lot in terms of skimmer performance.

Schism, that's exactly why I wanted more flow. I have a 20g with just a bio cube power head, and 2 clowns, is that ok????? I really don't think there's much stuff in there to build gunk up.

Not to butt in but this has me thinking I have a 3 by 4 110gal my two return produce a lot of flow behind rock. I ordered two 2400 gph and was going to put on opposites sides in front you g back and forth. Does this sound ok?

Hardridge said:
Not to butt in but this has me thinking I have a 3 by 4 110gal my two return produce a lot of flow behind rock. I ordered two 2400 gph and was going to put on opposites sides in front you g back and forth. Does this sound ok?

Sound good to me. You may need a few smaller ones as well to eliminate any dead areas but you'll have to play around with that.

And Crister, im not familiar with the biocube pumps but i woukd imagine you could use more. Many people run Mp10's in biocubes. Adding a small powerhead would only be beneficial but may not be needed if you have no problems, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom