Why am I getting algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ackropj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please can someone help. I ant seem to stop getting algea. I have a 125 ltr tank. Co2 1600 ltr a hour filter with uv bulb.

It's getting to the point where I just wanna give up now.

Ang help would be appreciated.

What are the dimensions of the tank and the lighting you are using. How long are the lights on each day? Have you identified the algae type? Pictures? Details please.

It's a juwel rio 125 lights are on 8 hours. 2 x t8 that came with tank, bulbs are a marine bulb, a daylight bulb and I have added a arcadia stretch led 60cm 26watt that one. Reflectors on the t8

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391802446.334204.jpg this keeps growing on the edge if the leafs also starting on the mossImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391802514.826354.jpg

First thing I'd do is change the "marine bulb" which I'm assuming is actinic, to something more plant friendly like a daylight 6,500k bulb. Algae just loves that actinic lighting. Looks like your algae is black beard algae (BBA). You can treat it by spot-treating with a syringe of 3% hydrogen peroxide. However, the moss wouldn't take too kindly to the peroxide.

Edit:
For the BBA in the moss, you can spot treat with excel (or glut alternative). Maybe reduce photoperiod to 7 hours. Keep up on weekly partial water changes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom