why are kissing gouramis called kissing gouramis ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. It's like bucks locking antlers. It can be territorial or a show off to get the woman.

but do they get hurt in the process ???

I mean are their lips just touching ??
or they are actually BITING ??

Devilishturtles said:
Nope. No ill effects at all. Their lips just touch. No biting.
but they still have the same personality/reputation (fin nippy, aggressive) as any other gourami right ?

Gouram89.jpg

Gouram88.jpg

I just read a little more. They do have the labyrinth organ but they are not in the same family as all the other gouramis we know and love. My first source was a no good. Broke my own rule and only read one referance.

i noticed they don't have "feelers" like other gouramis.

and I just read....there is debate as to whether or not they build bubble-nests !
8O

In my experience, I have found kissing gouramis to be much more aggressive than other ones. They also get fairly large, although I don't remember the exact size.

They are horrible don't get them... i just got two for my 55 gallon tank and i thought it was so cute that they were kissing... then i see them chasing all the other fish and terrorizing them, including my angels, my female betta, and my tetras. I returened them to the fish store :x

We had 2 large kissing gouramis at the vet office I worked at. They weren't very aggressive that I saw, but did do the kissing thing from time to time. There were some large tetras in with them. Nothing snack-sized. It was a peaceful tank to watch.

AshleyNicole said:
They are horrible don't get them... i just got two for my 55 gallon tank and i thought it was so cute that they were kissing... then i see them chasing all the other fish and terrorizing them, including my angels, my female betta, and my tetras. I returened them to the fish store :x

oh dear - if its any consolation...it happened to me.
Not with kissing gouramis, but with my dwarf gourami.
He kept chasing my 3 prized angels and biting the tails of my cories.
I moved him out of my tank and now everyone is much happier !!

Back
Top Bottom