Why are my nitrAtes so high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
29g planted tank, DIY CO2 diffused by a powerhead, 65W current USA, root tabs, dose with flourish. ammonia and nitrites both 0, nitrAtes are around 80 ppm. WTH? i've got danios, cories and snail.
i thought plants were supposed to slurp up nitrates. I lost my betta today (was in that tank) and a danio. Could this be the reason for the spike in nitrates?
Obviously I'm in the middle of a water change but I'm trying to figure out WHY they're so high to begin with.

test the water comeing from your tap. one place i lived i had city water and it was very high in nitRATES so no matter what i did my nitrates were high. I wound up buying bottled water....

i think root tabs nave nitrates in them but i'm not positive.

do you have a well? my water comes out of my well between 40-80ppm.
i cant tell the difference between the shades of red after 20ppm. anyone have a suggestion on nitrate test kits or maybe a cheap pinpoint probe for fresh water?

FF, What kind of fluorish are you dosing?

I too would start with checking the tap water....

What are your Phosphate levels? If your Phosphates have bottomed out this would prevent the use of the Nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom