Why are my plants pearling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not saying that I don't think it is awesome, I'm just wondering -- What is the leading factor to my pearling java moss, crypts, and vals?

I have about 60w of CFL over my 10g. Dosing liquid Seachem ferts, and DIY co2. Lights on for about 10h a day.

Did you just do a water change? If so, its not "true" pearling.

If not, then its probably that you have a good balance of nutrients, co2, and light. :)

Kristin is right, if it's just after a water change, then it's due to the (usually) high levels of dissolved oxygen in the tap water. If they are pearling every day (usually in the afternoon) it means you have very happy plants....they have enough CO2, light and nutrients to photosynthesize fast enough to supersaturate the water with oxygen. Since the O2 can't go into solution, it forms bubbles.

I am not saying that I don't think it is awesome, I'm just wondering -- What is the leading factor to my pearling java moss, crypts, and vals?

I have about 60w of CFL over my 10g. Dosing liquid Seachem ferts, and DIY co2. Lights on for about 10h a day.

6 WPG is a LOT of light.
Charles

Not over a 10 gallon aquarium. The WPG "rule" doesn't work on these small aquariums. You need more light to actually get things to grow.

So, I have a 16 gallon (10G footprint).
I have a dual 40 watt current satelite fixture on it, each has a switch.
DIY CO2 injected through an AC20 HOB.
EI ferts, moderately planted.
SHould I be running 80 watts of dual daylight tubes??
Thank you
Charles

PS: Don't know why, but I have milky white water in that tank sometimes.

If you're getting good growth with your current setup, there's no need to up your lighting. One the other hand if you're having trouble growing more light demanding plants, then you might want to look at doing a noon burst or running all the light.

Back
Top Bottom