Why did nitrites increase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys... Quick background... I'm cycling a 10 gallon tank for the last month or so. I used some filter media from my larger tank, and ammonia (same ammonia that cycled my other two tanks). As of last Friday, my nitrites disappeared along with ammonia, I was cycled. Since i wasnt ready for fish yet, I kept the cycle going during the last week by dropping in ammonia every day, but missed the last two days. I tested the tank last night and all of a sudden, the nitrites are off the chart! Ammonia is still disappearing, i dosed last night and it was gone tonight, yet still high nitrites. Only thing I did with the tank between last Friday and today was add a sponge over the filter intake and a large stone. Any reason why my cycle would suddenly revert back to not being cycled? It's such a pain because I was planning on getting my fish tonight :(

Sounds to me as though you were able to maintain your colony of nitrosomona, but somehow killed off a good portion of the nitrobacter you had established in the tank. The good news is it shouldn't take much longer feeding the tank to get the population back up.

fort384 said:
Sounds to me as though you were able to maintain your colony of nitrosomona, but somehow killed off a good portion of the nitrobacter you had established in the tank. The good news is it shouldn't take much longer feeding the tank to get the population back up.

Erghh I was afraid of that! Idk how I did that though, weird. I did a large water change tonight in hopes to drop the nitrites and nitrAtes a bit, then added more ammonia.

fort384 said:
Sounds like a good plan. At least you aren't starting from square 1 :)

This is very true. Hopefully tomorrow it will be OK, I don't know how long it will take to cycle again.

So I tested this morning and I'm in the clear! Nitrites are gone, ammonia is gone.. Time for my new fish!

Back
Top Bottom