Why do my fish hate me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't understand it. I'm the one that cleans their tanks, pays for all of their stuff, and feeds them, but my fish always hide when I go near the tank. My girlfriend can go right up to the tank and they're all fine, but they always run when I'm around. Is it because I'm ugly? I don't think I'm that ugly. I mean my g/f is hott but still...

i wish one of my clowns would hide when i clean the tank, But instead he likes to constantly nibble at my hand when im cleaning the glass or move some coral

Oh, well my Tomato thinks just because he's king of the aquarium, he can start nipping at my hand when I go to vacuum the gravel.

haha I was wondering if anyone elses clowns did that. my tomato is about three inches and he gets a swimming start from the other end of the tank (its a 6ft 125) and nails my arm/hand when ever I clean the tank, it is quite startling.

Im thinkin deoderant

Thats really strange, usually the guy with the food gets the smiles, but... im guessin your girlfriend is somewhat more attractive. ;)

Well I think she's more attractive than me. She didn't want me to post a picture here though...

Out of every single fish between my FW and SW tanks, there's only one that likes me. His name is Ctanley and I got him by accident with some ghost shrimp when he was the size of a grain of rice. Now he's a beautiful, adolescent male guppy. Every other fish hates me.

I don't think ugly has anything lto do with it. You are the one poking at them with the syphon hose and moving things around. Do you have a sump. do your water changes thruogh the sump and leave the DT alone and your fish will come around.

haha I was wondering if anyone elses clowns did that. my tomato is about three inches and he gets a swimming start from the other end of the tank (its a 6ft 125) and nails my arm/hand when ever I clean the tank, it is quite startling.

lol my false percula is about an 1"- 1 1/2". he dosnt ram me per say, he just likes to weave around my hand. and yes i agree, its more startling than it hurting. whats worse is when im moving a rock with some coral on the side and he comes and nips me and i drop the rock onto another rock crushing the coral, atleast thats what im afraid of doing. so i hafta dip both hands to sho him away while i move stuff around. sadly he atleat gets me twice everytime

i think catching your fish by hand instead of a net really gets a bond going... my fish try to eat my hand every time its in the tank now. they never did that until i started catching them by hand. they really dont like the nets

I had a maroon clown that would tail slap me when i would get close to his anemone.

Out of every single fish between my FW and SW tanks, there's only one that likes me. ...

How do you move around the tank? Do you move with jerky, sudden, quick motions? Or do you move slowly and methodically around the tank?

I've found that my fish will freak with quick sudden motions. If my kids, or people that are unfamiliar with the tank and move all jerky around it, come up to the tank, they'll scatter. When my daughter thinks about her movements and moves slower and more deliberate, the fish don't scatter. Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom