why do their stripes fade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
ForumRunner_20120809_172852.jpg

ForumRunner_20120809_172907.jpg

Her stripes look less defined to me.
ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I used filter media from my other tank when I set up hers but nitrates still not showing.
She gets 1 mini hikari cichlid pellet twice a day.
She is very active and water clear but it seems her stripes are faded and more like spots on her sides.
Any suggestions?

Ram897 said:
Her stripes look less defined to me.
ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I used filter media from my other tank when I set up hers but nitrates still not showing.
She gets 1 mini hikari cichlid pellet twice a day.
She is very active and water clear but it seems her stripes are faded and more like spots on her sides.
Any suggestions?

As long as the tank parameters are reasonable, I wouldn't think anything is wrong. The color and stripe patterns will always vary and can change rapidly related to stress.

Also they will often become more bold in time. When I got a convict 16 months ago, he was pale with faint stripes. Now, he's grey with bold black stripes, although they will vary in intensity with mood still.

Thanks.
I thought she looked healthy because every time we walk by the tank she comes out to great us and she seems content. Just wanted to make sure since this is our first fish.
She is about 1 1/2 inches right now. Seems to have grown a little bit since we got her 2 weeks ago.
Teehee... She is the apple of my eye...

So now I have maybe relaxed, maybe stressed and maybe lonely. Those are opposite ends of the spectrum.
If she was stressed or lonely would she be so active?
I thought convicts would rather be alone and would kill anyone else.

She is always "searching" the tank, especially the gravel. Is she hungry and looking for food or just curious as heck?

The color and stripe patterns will always vary and can change rapidly related to stress, although they will vary in intensity with mood still.

We are saying the same thing, their patterns with change based on mood or stress. Convicst don't get lonley, they are a not a social schooling type fish, and lack the brain capacity to show that emotion so you can cross that off the list.

It's nothing to be concerned with as long as water conditions are good. With regard to the gravel thing that's completely normal, cichlids love to dig and rearrange decor. So it sounds like you have a healthy active fish, stop worrying and sit back and enjoy!

Last edited:
I wasn't really worrying because she looks good. Like I said, she is my first fish and just didn't know why the colors changed.
And yes... I am enjoying the heck out of her!
AND... as a proud momma (just ask my pug) I think she is very intelligent :p
I wanted to teach her how to eat out of my hand but figured that wasn't a very good idea as she got bigger... Might take a chunk of my hand with her food? She is pretty feisty!

Thank you for all of the advice and your years of wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom