Why do you keep fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep fish because... I work anywhere from 60-100 hours a week and sometimes 16 hour days from 6-12 days in a row. And when I get home, there's nothing I love better than just sitting and looking into my tanks- it relaxes me.

because chick dig it... .... no .. no they dont its just because i have a passion for anything living. i kept reptiles for a number of years then decided i wanted to try something different.

I keep fish for several reasons:
a) I see a lot of death in my line of work, and my aquarium reminds me that despite the amount of death there is, there is an even greater amount of life surrounding me.
b) The water and beautiful tails are very relaxing.
c) My fish need me. I have really low self-esteem. Beyond what most people could even imagine. It's a terrible secret that I keep. It's a self-esteem booster to successfully keep an aquarium.
d) Beauty. Beauty. Beauty. (Okay...and cuteness).

Thanks for letting me share.

I love being able to watch my fish grow. Also my step daughter loves it. She names the new fish and know all there habits. I even got my fiancée into them. Now he's interested and reading all about keeping fish. So I guess I have a few reasons. Oh and I also love the fact that I can use it as an alternative tv and centerpiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

sitting in my fish room chill me down :) help me think ... when ur stress all u want to do is site and watch.

it jive u a mind of thoughts :)

My kids love them. There's nothing like having a not-quite 2 year old say "hi" and "night night" to the "pretty fishies" each day, and it helps teach my nearly 6 yr old to be responsible and respect life.

ChelseaLake said:
I keep fish for several reasons:
a) I see a lot of death in my line of work, and my aquarium reminds me that despite the amount of death there is, there is an even greater amount of life surrounding me.
b) The water and beautiful tails are very relaxing.
c) My fish need me. I have really low self-esteem. Beyond what most people could even imagine. It's a terrible secret that I keep. It's a self-esteem booster to successfully keep an aquarium.
d) Beauty. Beauty. Beauty. (Okay...and cuteness).

Thanks for letting me share.

What is ur line of work?

I think it's just interesting. I like watching the relationship between the different species and the interaction with me and their food.

I also love taking photos of them and have exchanged fish in quite a few times when I wanted a new model to photograph. Some fish never get traded though. :)

I originally bought an aquarium because my then 4 yr old (5 now) wanted a fish. Little did he know that his mommy is going to be addicted to it. So his aquarium became mine (of course he doesn't know it yet). Hehe!

Like most people here, it became an addiction (bringing me to MTS)! :-D Specially when I become interested on having live plants. Now my focus aren't only the fish. Having a healthy fish plus healthy plants makes me happy. PWC's is always relaxing for me. Doing the tests at first is a real challenge but I am learning. Became an obsession on making everything right.

All in all, having a living thing in our home whether its only fishes or with plants, knowing that you contributed to their thriving conditions, makes me feel at least fulfiiled and satisfied in some way.

And yeah, they are definitely much easier to care for (dogs has to be trained with No, stay, sit, roll over, etc. (although I owned 4 of them before and loved them to death too) and cats needs to be trained to use the litter box, etc.) coz they cannot chirp/bark/meow, and you don't have to yell at them with the word "NO". LOL. They are the most quiet pet ever! :-D

And my 5 yr old also named all the fishes as well and always tried to help me with anything to do with the tanks. +Ditto with saying "night night fishes" and "good morning so and so..." (citing all their names). :)

There is nothing more satisfactory than making everyone happy...I guess!

It's relaxing for me. It is very gratifying to slowly build your own little Eco system.

That and it is a great conversation piece, children and adults alike can't resist the tank. I think it gets watched as much as the tv.

Well my 3 year old wanted a pet and it's the easiest pet we could think of at the moment...boy were we wrong...LOL. I do love looking at my fishes and it's just relaxing after a days work. I agree PWC is actually enjoyable..weird i know.

i got my current set up because my 4 year old constantly wanted to go and watch the fish in the lfs. i also noticed that it calmed him down and has helped him with his medical condition

First of I like taking care of animals. Dogs, cats, horses, fish... Etc you name it, I got it LOL animals are the center if my world an I just enjoy watching them, learning about them, caring for them.

Second: I love to learn! Aquariums are fascinating and there is so much about them. You never seam to be done learning new things

And of course THIRD of: it is beautiful to look at, WAY BETTER than TV ;) and while you observing it always feels like instant gratification. And we all know humans like instant gratification. So aquariums are a constant fix

MacMyers said:
Because every other animal I put in my tanks dies. ;)

LOL

havn't actually got my set up yet but, i am sarting this hobby because i love fish, i do alot of fishing, and when i get home from fishing i want to go back again so having an aquarium might keep me at home a bit more.
Aquarium life also sounds very interesting and i am rather creative so decorating my tank when i get it is something i know i will enjoy. :)

Kondoe said:
havn't actually got my set up yet but, i am sarting this hobby because i love fish, i do alot of fishing, and when i get home from fishing i want to go back again so having an aquarium might keep me at home a bit more.
Aquarium life also sounds very interesting and i am rather creative so decorating my tank when i get it is something i know i will enjoy. :)

Are you going to do sw or fw?

Back
Top Bottom