Why has my fish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owner of Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 19 litre tank and have two fake little plants and a real plant to oxygenate the tank. I also have a moss ball and a filter.

We recently put 4 platys and a Hong Kong plec in the tank. Unfortunately the Hong Kong plec died after a day :(

We put a paradise fish and another fish (looks like a worm, not sure on its name) into the tank yesterday which would be about 5/6 days after the platys were in the tank.

This morning, one of the platys has died and was missing an eye. There was just a hole where the eye should have been.

They are fed 3 times a day as per the instructions on their food.

Why do you think the platy died and had a eye missing?

Hong Kong plecs (hillstream loaches)
Require highly oxygenated typically faster than normal water. Most likely your water was too warm, in water, the warmer it is the less oxygen it can hold.

Is the worm a Khuli loach?

Something attacked the platy? Could've been the worm or the paradise fish, the latter is known to be aggressive.

Hi

Thanks for your replies

After the plec died, we did some research and our tank was probably not oxygenated.

Just confused why the second fish died and had a missing eye.

If the fish died first, it is considered an easy meal. If something attacked it then it died as a result, you have the potential for another case just like this one!

Back
Top Bottom