Why is my Anubia melting?? It’s nestled in a rock. I thought this is the only way it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoboFish808

Aquarium Advice Regular
IMG_6135.jpg

At a loss rn. All my anubias just end up melting and I do everything you’re supposed to, keep the roots above the substrate and just find a place for it to sort of float or nestle it in a rock. I didn’t notice this until just now, so obviously it’s completely past the point of no return. I’m sick of wasting money on anubias! Everyone says how it’s the easiest plant there is but that just is not the truth.

View attachment 319848

At a loss rn. All my anubias just end up melting and I do everything you’re supposed to, keep the roots above the substrate and just find a place for it to sort of float or nestle it in a rock. I didn’t notice this until just now, so obviously it’s completely past the point of no return. I’m sick of wasting money on anubias! Everyone says how it’s the easiest plant there is but that just is not the truth.

Normally it is pretty tough but I’ve managed a few ways :) how are your other plants going?

I just put mine straight into gravel substrate (not too deep). I’m not sure how you attached yours? Is it getting new shoots?

It looks like it has green spot or hair algae on it. Mine under under high light gets green spot algae on leaves and/or black beard algae (BBA). Mainly on old leaves.

Mine is fine with liquid carbon dosing but it doesn’t like being in air for long during a water change. H2O2 spot algae treatments work (especially for BBA), but still have leaf damage.

Normally it is pretty tough but I’ve managed a few ways :) how are your other plants going?

I just put mine straight into gravel substrate (not too deep). I’m not sure how you attached yours? Is it getting new shoots?

It looks like it has green spot or hair algae on it. Mine under under high light gets green spot algae on leaves and/or black beard algae (BBA). Mainly on old leaves.

Mine is fine with liquid carbon dosing but it doesn’t like being in air for long during a water change. H2O2 spot algae treatments work (especially for BBA), but still have leaf damage.

I pulled it out, there are a few new shoots but another leaf broke free. Last time I had a leaf break free, i shoved it deep into the sand and when I pulled it out a few weeks later it had an inch long white root sticking out of the bottom. I was confused as I thought the roots couldn’t be submerged.

My other plants are mostly doing very well; all the bacopa and rotala and stem plants are going off like crazy, the water sprite just multiplies by the day, the micro sword is forming rows now, my spikerush doesn’t seem to like the fine sand too much. My gravel nano tank has a full spikerush carpet. Dwarf sag also not doing well in this sand, all my shoots stay alive but shed leaves and replace them with new ones, they don’t propagate.

Melon swords growing fine, just have annoyingly curving leaves; java ferns are propogating like wild, mosses of course are growing fine.

Roots can be submerged. In fact the roots will get into substrate to anchor it in place. Its the rhyzome that shouldn't be planted.
I pulled it out, there are a few new shoots but another leaf broke free. Last time I had a leaf break free, i shoved it deep into the sand and when I pulled it out a few weeks later it had an inch long white root sticking out of the bottom. I was confused as I thought the roots couldn’t be submerged.

They look like the older leaves that were grown out of water. All plants will adapt and change leaves. Thats when the new shoots start. Just trim the old leaves off when they start getting too much algae.

The transition period with anubias is much slower than most plants so it takes time. Old leaves will melt. It’s normal.

I bury my rhizomes and they grow fine. I always test old wives tales just to see for myself. Most people rarely do.

Back
Top Bottom