Why is my clam....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't speak to the symptoms, but having owned a crocea now for over a year, browning, just as with corals, is a sign of needing more light. I would check to ensure your lights are not in need of replacing and / or the clam should be closer to the top of the tank. Oh and yes, crocea's are found in rock work, not in sand as most LFS's have them placed for sale. If you want to try anything, before going after radical checmical changes, I would place the clam up closer to the light. HOWEVER, know that it will attach and you will not be able to move it once it does attach. Much like an anemone, damaging its 'foot' could lead to death.

Best of luck!

The Aqauline Buschke 10K has good PPFD (79) and a nice color temp (CCT=12871K).
You can check out Sanjay's Lighting site for bulb performance. Pick "Lamp & Ballast" from the tabbed menu, then pick 150 watt, leave all the other fields empty and hit Search. It will display the results of all 150w bulbs Sanjay tested.

20,000K Aqualine AB HQI Double Ended - 150W - 20-76149
would this work too, its the same thing just 20000k whats the big difference, i know its color but how does it affect my corals and clams?

Sanjay didn't test the AB 20k, but typically 20k bulbs have alot less PAR (up to 50% less) than a 10k bulb. You won't get as much coral growth from a 20k as you would from a 10k, and I personally don't like a blue looking tank. The plus for 20k is they really make the colors pop.

yeah, i really really really want growth but i love the blues that i've seen and i have on my 3 gallon. i think im going to go for growth though, i might get some extra blue led lighting though.

oh yeah, and the clams, one is at the top, and absolutely loving it, the other was nudged by the urchin and fell, recovering near the bottom rite now, i think most of the foot is broken, we'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom