Why is my lyertail guppy nipping at my other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungry Seacow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a lyertail guppy today and he can't seem to help himself from nipping at my other fish. A few of my fish have Ich so I have the temps up to 87. I think I have noticed that the guppy is nipping at the white spots of ick most of the time, but not all. So, could it be the high temps, the Ich, or just a mean guppy?

It sounds like the guppy is doing something.. Fish usually nip at the fins, or they nip at weaker fish.. Your ick infested fish might look weak to the new guppy and he might be trying to hedge out the flock some.. that would be the worst case scenario I can think of..

Fish pick at each other for many many reasons. What are your other fish he is picking on? In a smaller tank with all male fish (guppies for example) it's perfectly common for the more dominant male to exert himself on the less dominant fish. I wouldn't worry about the nit picking, and concentrate on killin' that ich. 8)

Since I don't have a quarantine tank I figured why not buy this fish now and quarantine them all. I know that isn't the smartest thing to do. The tank is nearly done with the cycle. 0 Ammonia, hardly any nitrites, and nitrates. Since I have raised the temps the fish that had Ich had an outbreak for a few days and are now nearly Ich free.

Oh, I have been using Cycle from Hagen to help with the cycle. This stuff works great and is cheap unlike Bio-Spira.

Cycle actually doesn't help speed up the cycle. There has been several threads regarding this and it has been found to be worthless when it comes to assisting in the cycling of tanks. That's the reason why it's so cheap and Bio-Spira is more expensive. The Bio-Spira actually works.

Back
Top Bottom