Why is my tank green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
55 gallon
Not even close to overstocked
2 AC 30's and 1 topfin 75 it came with
Was crystal clear for months
Just randomly started getting greener

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 101
Probably green water algae. If you put it in an opaque cup with a white interior and the water itself is green then that's it.
I know remedy calls for a 3 day blackout. Like wrap a blanket around the tank and don't peek blackout followed by a gradual return of light.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What light do you have over your tank and how long is it on during the day? Both of those factors could be playing into why you have green water.

Probably green water algae. If you put it in an opaque cup with a white interior and the water itself is green then that's it.
I know remedy calls for a 3 day blackout. Like wrap a blanket around the tank and don't peek blackout followed by a gradual return of light.

"Probably?" :D

That tank couldnt be any greener if he tried.

Basically, you have 2 reliable options for treating green water. A 100% black out with either black garbage bags or construction paper covering everything up for at least 3 days or a uv sterilizer.

If you choose the garbage bags id run an airstone for aeration.

Light from a window is the most common cause but prolonged exposure to tank lights will do it too.

"Probably?" :D

That tank couldnt be any greener if he tried.

Basically, you have 2 reliable options for treating green water. A 100% black out with either black garbage bags or construction paper covering everything up for at least 3 days or a uv sterilizer.

If you choose the garbage bags id run an airstone for aeration.

Light from a window is the most common cause but prolonged exposure to tank lights will do it too.

I don't have first-hand experience with it, but I've seen posts and read about cultivating it.

I have the same exact problem with my tank. The weird thing is my tank has been up and running for about 5 years and all of a sudden this has happened! I haven't ever moved the tank and the sun hasn't changed direction! My tank gets no direct sunlight, ever.

Here is one of the weird things: It will clear up after a couple of weeks, but if I change my filter it is green within 2 days again!

I am going to try the "blackout" method and I'll report my results.

Mark

hey i am curious to know about your level of nitrates and also phosphates.

how much do you feed your fish? what type of lighting? how long do you leave it on? do you vacuum your substrate? these can all be contributing factors.

hey i am curious to know about your level of nitrates and also phosphates.

how much do you feed your fish? what type of lighting? how long do you leave it on? do you vacuum your substrate? these can all be contributing factors.

If you are asking me, I haven't checked my levels in a couple of weeks (I am at work now) but they were "fine" then.
I have a fluorescent light (10 or so hours a day), I do vacuum when I do my water changes. And I feed every morning (probably a bit too much but little to none hits the floor of the tank).

But here is the weird thing to me, I haven't changed ANYTHING that I have ever done. I didn't add plants or move the tank or alter how much/when I feed or clean.

I use treated tap water (and always have), could it be something in there that has changed?

Mark

If you are asking me, I haven't checked my levels in a couple of weeks (I am at work now) but they were "fine" then.
I have a fluorescent light (10 or so hours a day), I do vacuum when I do my water changes. And I feed every morning (probably a bit too much but little to none hits the floor of the tank).

But here is the weird thing to me, I haven't changed ANYTHING that I have ever done. I didn't add plants or move the tank or alter how much/when I feed or clean.

I use treated tap water (and always have), could it be something in there that has changed?

Mark

Most likely, it was just a type of algae that found its way into your tank and took a while to get going. I had the same thing happen with my salt water tank.

phosphates and nitrates can build up slowly over time, especially if there is food that is not getting eaten, or plant matter in the tank breaking down and this can all lead to an algae bloom.

i would test the nitrates and phosphates when you get home and post up the results. then likely a water change and leave the lights off for a few days...perhaps consider blacking it out as was suggested before. just my $.02

good luck

How are your water changes?
I would keep it simple, do some daily water changes and keep the lights off for a few days.
If you have plants, get a timer and cut the light time down.

Well I got home and got started right away changing water and I forgot to check my levels!! :facepalm:

I have it covered and I'll do partial water changes the next couple of days and see how things shake out.

Dumb question: how do I feed them? If it is blacked out how will they see the food to eat it, or can they "smell" it? Or just let them go a couple of days without?

Mark

funny thing is I always have a build up of algia in the fall don't know why but it happens every year
It might be the angle of the sun or my well water might get nitrates in it when the rain starts , (there are fARMS everywhere around me )
my bet is your nitrates got high , and a few water changes will help
a diatom filter will also clean it up fast

So I covered it entirely on Thursday and changed about 5 gallons each day and the water was progressively cleaner. I removed the cover on Saturday evening and it looks stable.

Thanks everyone for your input and help. If anything changes I'll let you know.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom