Why I've been scarce.....new pics 6/12/07....Sailing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's spring! Which means working on the boat - yippee!!!

Oh yeah, and that other thing called a thesis proposal....nothing serious there. 8O

But anyway, here are some pics of my other ongoing project (besides the fishtanks, that is!). This weekend my parents are coming down to help me do a ton of work on the boat. it is a 1965 so it needs a little updating in addition to the normal spring maintenance. Boat goes in June 4th so I'll be busy until then, then i'll be sailing! more pics to come!

The Big Green Lump in my boyfriend's yard:
P1040165.JPG

Cover off:
P1040166.JPG

P1040169.JPG

Ugly peeling cabin:
P1040180.JPG

Winches circa 1965....they are being removed and relegated to bookends this year.
P1040184.JPG

Refinishing the cabin doors: no varnish vs 1 coat. They will have 6 coats when finished. Notice the SW tank water change bucket!
P1040160.JPG

That is a great looking boat! What are the specs? I look forward to more pics!

There will be lots more pics after this weekend; we are painting the bottom, the inside of the cabin and a few other things. So look forward to lots of pics of people in Tyvek suits and respirators!

the boat is a 1965 Cape Cod Marlin. It is 23' long, 7' beam (width), 3' draft (depth under water). It weighs 3000 lbs. The mast is 32' high. The boat is a modification of a boat called a Herreshoff Fish class (which is probably where the Marlin came from), the Fish class was a 21' wooden boat based on a 16 footer called the Herreshoff 12-1/2 or Doughdish, of which I used to own one. So basically I have a bigger version of the same boat I used to own!

My boat has had several names that I know of, when I got it it was called Ribbit, and my boyfriend knew of the boat when he was a kid and it was called Lemonade. I have renamed the boat "Starry Night" and am waiting for the new name to arrive in the mail so I can get it on the boat.

More pics! Got almost everything done this weekend that we wanted to; the last bit of painting will be done tomorrow morning as it got too cold in the afternoon for the paint to dry in time.

Recaulked the joint between the lead ballast keel and the hull:
P1040221.JPG

Dad and Chris removing the old winches:
P1040227.JPG

Dad and I sanding the bottom in preparation for painting:
P1040232.JPG

Cabin primed:
P1040237.JPG

Mom painting the cabin, compare to the old pics:
P1040238.JPG

Dad starting to paint the bottom:
P1040240.JPG

Bottom done except for the hull-keel joint (needs to dry longer) and under the stands, which will be painted next weekend:
P1040250.JPG

P1040257.JPG

A few more pics, mostly been doing little things that don't photograph well, like rigging lines, fiddling with sails, putting on little bits of hardware. The cabin doors are done and look great but I forgot to take pics of them last night.

The nasty holes and removed paint from the old outboard bracket. The gray part is bare fiberglass 8O . What this pic doesn't show is the three hours of hand sanding with 60 grit it took to get to this point. I am going to have serious right arm muscles by the time this is done!:
P1040332.JPG

Holes filled in with epoxy, this is where it starts looking worse before it looks better:
P1040335.JPG

New boat stands, finished painting the rest of hte bottom, waxed hull. You can see the repair area on the transom (at the right):
P1040338.JPG

newfound77951 said:
Oh, forgot....open invitation to any AA member to go sailing if you come to RI this summer!!

Careful, we might take you up on that.

The project is looking great. The hard work will be worth it this summer.

And them strong arms will help with the sails. :D

drobertson said:
newfound77951 said:
Oh, forgot....open invitation to any AA member to go sailing if you come to RI this summer!!

Careful, we might take you up on that.

The project is looking great. The hard work will be worth it this summer.

And them strong arms will help with the sails. :D

Let's see, RI is about 4 hours from me. Hoist the mizzenmast, we're going sailing! :ROFLMAO:

Very nice job done by all.

A few more pics...most of the stuff I've been doing isn't photo-worthy, at least not until i'm out sailing!

Finished the transom repair, and got the new name on. If you look close on the left hand side you can see the rectangle of a slightly different color, the boat is very light blue, not white, so it was a pain to match the color.
P1040579.JPG

New winches installed, which was a big pain in the butt:
P1040582.JPG

Cabin doors done (6 coats varnish):
P1040588.JPG

It is just GORGEOUS!! You guys did a great job! You are involved with water and the sea on all levels--how cool. :D

I've been to Rhode Island once, to visit Johnson & Wales in Providence, when I thought I was going to get an equine degree. I spent the weekend roaming around the city and even went into Seekonk, MA to see some stables. I loved the whole area--just beautiful.

You are involved with water and the sea on all levels

Yeah, you could say I'm a little obsessed....
--4 fishtanks
--7ish boats (2 sailboats, 2 kayaks, 1 rowing shell, 2 dinghies, 1 windsurfer, 1 RC sailboat -- not sure if the last 2 count as boats)
--went to school to learn how to design boats (I am now a certified boat snob, I know too much about them!)
--now going to school for oceanography

yup, obsessed

Oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of actually being IN the water....I can swim, and don't dislike it, but I get cold so fast that I don't enjoy it unless the water is really, really warm or I have a wetsuit on.

Looks great! I love how you made it a family afair. Lots of hard work I am sure...but it did pay off.
--7ish boats (2 sailboats, 2 kayaks, 1 rowing shell, 2 dinghies, 1 windsurfer, 1 RC sailboat -- not sure if the last 2 count as boats)
"Stop playing with your dinghy!"...sorry I would not resist. (big Chris Farley fan)

Back
Top Bottom