Why wont my convicts breed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 female and 1 male black convicts and they flare at each other! But why won't they spawn bur I do have many other cichlids in the 60g tank with them! I have fine gravel and a bunch of clay pots! the temp is 78 and the pH is around 7.8 or so! I did a water change a few days ago? I have empty 10g that is already cycled should i put them in there together and see if they will spawn? I really want some convict babies please helpppp!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 female and 1 male black convicts and they flare at each other! But why won't they spawn bur I do have many other cichlids in the 60g tank with them! I have fine gravel and a bunch of clay pots! the temp is 78 and the pH is around 7.8 or so! I did a water change a few days ago? I have empty 10g that is already cycled should i put them in there together and see if they will spawn? I really want some convict babies please helpppp!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My first thoughts are that there are too many other fish and distractions in the tank for them to spawn so moving a pair or all 3 would be a smart move. This, of course, only applies if : The fish are old enough to spawn, the water quality all around has been good and you have been feeding the right foods to help them produce eggs to spawn with.
Should you decide to move all 3 fish, be aware that once the pair forms, they will most likely try to kill off the extra female so you need to be watchful and remove the extra female if she starts getting attacked. Good water quality and good foods are a must. Make sure you put something for them to spawn on (or in) in the tank. Use of an air driven sponge filter would be better than a HOB and a bare bottom tank will be easier to keep cleaner water in. Using decorations like rocks and plastic plants will help the fry and parents feel secure even though there is no gravel.

Hope this helps (y)

Ours spawned in an overcrowded sales tank at Petsmart ?

Crazy fish ?

We gave the pair a fake plant barrier to help the fry a bit. Once the Fry were easier to see, we got them out and gave them away. They were illegal for us to sell and it was better to try to let people see if they could raise them and have them killed off in such a bare tank. Plus the mated pair had all of the other convicts flattened up against the opposite wall.

We fed Omega One Cichlid pellets
Frozen bloodworms and brine and occasional O.O. Shrimp Pellets, plus Omega One color flakes.

Water Quality was checked every single day, so my store's fish were very healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are you planning to do when you get convict babies ?? The stores I know won't take them, because they breed so easily, they don't need them.

Ours spawned in an overcrowded sales tank at Petsmart ?

Crazy fish ?

We gave the pair a fake plant barrier to help the fry a bit. Once the Fry were easier to see, we got them out and gave them away. They were illegal for us to sell and it was better to try to let people see if they could raise them and have them killed off in such a bare tank. Plus the mated pair had all of the other convicts flattened up against the opposite wall.

We fed Omega One Cichlid pellets
Frozen bloodworms and brine and occasional O.O. Shrimp Pellets, plus Omega One color flakes.

Water Quality was checked every single day, so my store's fish were very healthy.

It is illegal for chain stores to sell babies born in the store? One of the chains near me has a tank full of assorted livebearer fry, so they have to kill them or give them away?

Fishobsessed7

They weren't part of our inventory and it would've been too much of a pain to adjust the inventory and wait for them to grow up. It was easier to give them away. We also didn't have the room to grow up that many convicts. Better for the fish, more humane.

Back
Top Bottom