Why wont my rcs breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkcut10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 20 gallon planted tank with 4 guppies a few snails and 4 rcs. All of my parameters are in great shape however, my water is fairly hard it's around 7.8. Any ideas would be appreciated!

The babies could be being eaten by your fish. The baby shrimp are almost microscopic and you may not even know if they have bred before the babies get eaten.

With only 4 of them, are you sure you have mixed sexes and not all females or something?

How small are we talking? I've seen white things crawling on the side of my shrimp only tank. Have quite a few saddled and some with eggs now I can't find any with eggs and don't notice babies. How long does it take for a saddled female to make eggs?

I think its about 30 days from saddle to babies. My vote is the fish are eating them, or if you are lucky they are staying hidden until bigger.

Questions

What are the white things in the tank? Planaria, Hydra? Those will kill baby shrimp. Worms?

Guppies will eat babies for sure.

Add some nice driftwood to mellow the water.

How long have you had the tank up?

Do you have a pre filter sponge on your intake, maybe you are sucking up babies into the filter.

Or vacuuming them up with pwc? They are tiny 1mm more or less.

I have no idea what they are... looks kinda like mites. Did find two 3-4mm babies. There is so much moss and dhg I guess their cloud be more. There were 3 females with eggs now none, lots of them are saddled wonder how long it take to get pregnant? I do have some larger females without eggs or saddles is that normal?

cyris69 said:
I have no idea what they are... looks kinda like mites.

Sounds like a type of ostracods / "seed shrimp." Lots of info online about them. See if some photos look like what you have. (There's tons of species.)

Back
Top Bottom