Why you need a canister filter for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

Been a long time since I've been on AA. Last week I couldn't resist an amazing deal on an Eheim canister filter (classic 600, 2217) and just got and installed it today. I've been in the hobby for a LONG time (see membership date on this forum) and always had trouble keeping my dissolved CO2 levels high enough. For a couple years I was running 1 Aquaclear50 HOB filter and for the last year or two I've been running 2 Aquaclear50's side by side.

So back to today. I get the monster set up (this is a massive filter for my little 20 gallon tank), reduce the flow to an acceptable level (at full on it was blowing the fish around the tank like a washing machine!), and walk away. It's now been about 5 hours and I have so much pearling I can't believe my eyes. Literally every leaf has monster bubbles and there is a constant stream of O2 rising throughout the tank. I have NEVER seen this in my tank. The closest thing is after a large water change where the new water off-gasses. But this is real pearling.

Now I'm actually a bit concerned about too much dissolved CO2. Because there is little to no surface agitation my previous 2-3 bubbles per second is possibly overdoing it. I used to have a pH drop meter thing, but haven't used it forever. Might have to dig that back up and see where I'm at.

So anyone in the hobby that (like me) had been tossing the idea of switching to a canister (even on smaller tanks) should seriously consider it when a deal comes up. My new filter is big enough to easily handle a 55 if I ever upgrade, and if not I probably won't have to clean it more than once or twice a year.

Thanks for listening!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom