Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear this Bob :(
Yet another example of why QTing new fish is so important. It doesn't matter where you get the fish from anymore, you need to quarantine.

I do hope you have another male you can use to replace the lost one.

Very sad news Bob. I fear the same in losing my female. Her eye is almost cleared up but she get disorientated very easily and is struggling to stay upright. I'm hoping that as she beginning eat better that it will solve the problem. In the past I've never QT any new fish and have lucked out. That being said from reading posts from other people I'm being to see the value of it and have spare 15gal just for that purpose. Glad to hear the female came through. I think I need to spend some time on reading up on possible fish threats and medications. Might be good to be proactive for a change. ;)

Well i guarentee this will never happen agian. i now have a 20 tall set up for QT. But i do recomend geting that med if u can karay its called- paragon - made by seachem. fortunatly i have a replacement for him but he was beautiful and ill miss him

I will look for that in the store next time i'm there. I got a hood for my spare 20 gallon and will be setting that up sometime this week. this way I will have a dedicated QT tank.

I just feed everybody, and my angels are being aggressive. all of them. everyone is chasing everyone lol hopefully someone is getting ready to do something. maybe all of them will spawn at the same time!!

So I placed the female back in the tank with the male about 15 min before lights out (they're on a timer) and the male spent the whole 15 min pecking at her sometimes with some force. Is this normal and will it stop? The other thing is the female before she got the fungus on her eye was noticeably list to one side. I at first thought this was to compensate for the injured eye but not that is healed up she still list and sometimes swims sideways. Suggestions?

So I placed the female back in the tank with the male about 15 min before lights out (they're on a timer) and the male spent the whole 15 min pecking at her sometimes with some force. Is this normal and will it stop? The other thing is the female before she got the fungus on her eye was noticeably list to one side. I at first thought this was to compensate for the injured eye but not that is healed up she still list and sometimes swims sideways. Suggestions?

For starters, the time to have added her back was after light's out so he wouldn't see her until she'd have had a chance to re-acclimate to the tank. Spilt milk for now, just keep her protected as best you can. If he continues to pick on her, you should separate the 2 and give her some time, (as long as possible)
to become "normal" again before trying to add her back with the male. If she is still weak, she will not spawn so subjecting her to the male might be more harmful than productive.

As for her swimming, if she is only seeing through the one eye, it will take some time for her to adjust to things. Don't forget, she's seeing things now with a different vision. She'll also probably be a little extra skittish as she won't see things happening on her blind side making every movement a startling movement for now.

Keep us posted (y)

I'll remember to put them back after dark from henceforth. Does make sense. As to her sight I do believe that though the eye looks scarred she is still able to see with. She seems to respond to my movements when she has the "good" eye facing away from me. I will keep an eye on the situation (no pun intended) and remove her if needs be. Thanks

I'll remember to put them back after dark from henceforth. Does make sense. As to her sight I do believe that though the eye looks scarred she is still able to see with. She seems to respond to my movements when she has the "good" eye facing away from me. I will keep an eye on the situation (no pun intended) and remove her if needs be. Thanks

What happens most often is that the lens gets infected then falls off or is destroyed or in some form is no longer there, making sight from that eye distorted now. I've seen fish survive this or even losing the actual eye and survive and breed again. It just takes time. Now, you might see why I always kept some back up fish. You just never know when you are going to need one or two. ;)

I wish her well. Make sure you give her some good extra protein foods to help mend the eye as well as good "roughage" food to keep the poop shoot pooping :blink: :D

Ok I think things are fine between the pair. I just witnessed her stand her ground and peck back. Also is swimming normally again. Bloodworms this morning really perked her back up. I'm very pleased! :)

Can't wait to see their babies! Has anyone ever seen a tail this long?!! lol his body is about 2 inch diameter, and tail and fins about 4 and 1/2 inch long each!

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 127
Can't wait to see their babies! Has anyone ever seen a tail this long?!! lol his body is about 2 inch diameter, and tail and fins about 4 and 1/2 inch long each!

Yes, I have ;)
That used to be the standard size to be called a veiltail. I had a pair of Gold Angels back in the 60s where the fish's fins top to bottom were long enough to scrape the bottom of a 20 gal high ( 18" tall tank) when the dorsal was at the top of the tank. Most veils today are just a little longer than "normal" :(
It's a nice looking fish tho. Good luck with the spawn. Maybe you can repopulate the long fin veils again. (y)

Houston, we have eggs! Second batch for Blackie and Pumba. Definitely looks like more too.

eggsb.jpg

Yes, I have ;)
That used to be the standard size to be called a veiltail. I had a pair of Gold Angels back in the 60s where the fish's fins top to bottom were long enough to scrape the bottom of a 20 gal high ( 18" tall tank) when the dorsal was at the top of the tank. Most veils today are just a little longer than "normal" :(
It's a nice looking fish tho. Good luck with the spawn. Maybe you can repopulate the long fin veils again. (y)
I would love to see more long veil tails. Out of all of the angels Ive seen around here I have never seen any as long as his. Hopefully he passes this to his babies! And thank you for directing me to this thread. I don't think it's even possible for me to have more questions after reading thru all of that. Tons of good info in here.

Well its a sad day in bobs fish world. i lost my breeder male marbled koi. it was something called ancor worm. i bought 30 baby plecos from another breeder here and i did not QT them- BAD BOB i know- but as an up side to this i called seachem and got an awesome med called paragon . you guys should all get it. it a cure all med, and i would recommend it to every fw fish keeper. i put it in the tank for the female and with in 2 hrs the worms died and fell off and shes swimming and eating great.

So sorry Bob :-( I have heard great things about paragon but have only seen it online!

My wholesaler buddy is begging me to get back into breeding Angels again. I may need to build a fish house behind my house. :facepalm:

That would be awesome. My next house will have a wood shop/fish house. This way I can breed fish and make designer aquarium stands;)

I would love to see quality angels being bred.... not just angels who happen to pair off....

My problem is that there are so many new varieties available since my last hatchery that I'm not sure I know what to breed. lol :lol: Might need to look into solar power to pay for the electric for all the tanks. :blink: Guess it's time to check my compressor and see if it still works. :banghead: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom