Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad to see everyone having so much success here!

I've been traveling so much for work that I just let my pair do their own thing for a while, which has resulted in nothing but lots of eggs with no survivors. :)

Hopefully one day I can slow down and pull some eggs to hatch out. In the meantime, keep sharing your successes, please. I love every post.

lol mine are to should be today some time today

Mine too! Lol they actually just finished spawning. It was so interesting to watch the process. The only downside is we tested our water yesterday and our PH is 8.0. So I'm not sure about survivability.

solar hmmmmm i got a good idea now. ty andy

Hi Bob
Yea, it was a thought. My neighbor's electric bill for his farm pump was soo high that I thought if I were to get back into this again, I could use his empty pools (instead of ponds) to grow out the fish but that means the pump need to run so the elctric will go up again. If I did solar, I may be able to attach the pump into my grid. :confused:

Just trying to think outside the aquarium :D :lol:

well i have a problem with blowing breakers in my home. with so many tanks running i think i might check into this. Not sure how big i would need to go but it might be profitable .

well i have a problem with blowing breakers in my home. with so many tanks running i think i might check into this. Not sure how big i would need to go but it might be profitable .

The thing about solar is you would need a big enough panel to run the pumps plus charge a battery bank during the day so it would be able run of the batteries at night. I've considered this option as power failure back up because the batteries drain quickly. My blower could run off a single car battery for six hours before dying. Haven't looked into deep cycle batteries typically used for rv or cottages yet. Might be something to ask in the DIY section. Oh and I was right and my angels laid eggs today. Very happy considering she just got out of the hospital tank:D

The thing about solar is you would need a big enough panel to run the pumps plus charge a battery bank during the day so it would be able run of the batteries at night. I've considered this option as power failure back up because the batteries drain quickly. My blower could run off a single car battery for six hours before dying. Haven't looked into deep cycle batteries typically used for rv or cottages yet. Might be something to ask in the DIY section. Oh and I was right and my angels laid eggs today. Very happy considering she just got out of the hospital tank:D

Like I've said before, Once you get them started, it's harder to get them to stop! :lol: Eyes? We don't need no stinkin' eyes!, Fins? We don't need no stinkin fins. Just give us someplace to spawn on!!!! :ROFLMAO:

(Thanks for the Solar imput.)

well I'm finally almost done with setting up the 20 gallon. Blackie and Pumba seems to have moved their eggs. they aren't on the filter intake anymore, and they seem to be in "protect mode". they are also guarding a fake plant, so I think that's where the eggs are now. before they moved the eggs, I can see movement with them, so alot of them hatched i think.

I won't try to move them this time, will give them a chance to be good parents. They behaved very different than Bubba and Stumpy did, so I plan on perhaps moving the others to the 20 gallon for now. I've got bacteria sources to seed the tank so it shouldnt be long.

Mine too! Lol they actually just finished spawning. It was so interesting to watch the process. The only downside is we tested our water yesterday and our PH is 8.0. So I'm not sure about survivability.

No luck. This morning the eggs turned white and got picked off. Is he maybe not fertilizing them properly? He did seem to be aiming a bit high when he was doing his thing.

I'm going to jump onto this thread because it seems all the angel experts are on here...I apologize to the op!

I moved my two mating angels into my 37 gallon tall and they layed on my hob filter intake (I covered the intake with a sponge prefilter). Mom keeps moving the wigglers into a big clump on the top of the prefilter sponge... But dad keeps picking them up and unsuccessfully trying to stick them back to the filter tube LOL. Anyway my question is are they going to be okay all clumped up in a big pile... And should I be worried that the wigglers can't reattach themselves? This is the first time the parents let the eggs get to this stage. There are definitely less wigglers this morning since yesterday... I don't know if the parents ate them or if it was my three Cory cats (their only tank mates). Thanks in advance and sorry again to the op for hijacking your thread!

ForumRunner_20130305_074651.jpg you can see the big clump on the sponge.... They also aren't doing good removing the dead eggs some of them are actually getting fuzzy :-/

I'm going to jump onto this thread because it seems all the angel experts are on here...I apologize to the op!

I moved my two mating angels into my 37 gallon tall and they layed on my hob filter intake (I covered the intake with a sponge prefilter). Mom keeps moving the wigglers into a big clump on the top of the prefilter sponge... But dad keeps picking them up and unsuccessfully trying to stick them back to the filter tube LOL. Anyway my question is are they going to be okay all clumped up in a big pile... And should I be worried that the wigglers can't reattach themselves? This is the first time the parents let the eggs get to this stage. There are definitely less wigglers this morning since yesterday... I don't know if the parents ate them or if it was my three Cory cats (their only tank mates). Thanks in advance and sorry again to the op for hijacking your thread!

you can see the big clump on the sponge.... They also aren't doing good removing the dead eggs some of them are actually getting fuzzy :-/

I haven't had my parents successful raise their brood. They alway are the eggs. I'm sure the Cory cats will as well. As to clumping that is nothing to be concerned about. Mine will fall off my slate and clump together at the base off it. They'll come apart when they reach the stage of free swimming. The fuzzy ones are infertile eggs growing a fungus on them. That can affect the eggs beside it. That's the advantage of of pulling the eggs and placing them in a separate tank with methylene blue. It stops the fungus from growing. If you can turn the filter strength down. It might be to powerful for the little swimmers. No worries about hijacking. Hope we can help

View attachment 157141 you can see the big clump on the sponge.... They also aren't doing good removing the dead eggs some of them are actually getting fuzzy :-/
I guess the first question needs to be "What are your objectives with the fry?" Breeders who are diliberately trying to raise fry for sale or for future generations will not use a HOB filter but will use a sponge filter for their tanks. This is not the same as a sponge pre-filter on a HOB. Using the proper sponge filter will allow for the fry to be anywhere in the tank safely without fear of being sucked into the filter.
Normal Angel behavior for the fry are to move them constantly so that they are safe from potential predators. (This goes back to their wild ancestor's traits regarding spawning in the rivers;)) The fact that they don't reattach is normal and nothing to be concerned about as Ray mentioned above. Mom or Dad is going to move them in a few minutes anyway so no need for them to grow roots. :D:lol: Before the fry become free swimming, they are just "hanging out" absorbing their yolk sac so it doesn't rally matter whether they are in a clump or by themselves.
I would be concerned about having any other fish in with fish fry as they are always a good food source for other fish, especially catfish. You might want to consider removing the other fish from the tank until the fry are big enough to move out.
Looks like you should be getting your first foods ready for the fry so you should start thinking about that too.

Good luck with your spawn (y)

welcome to our thread angellover . we are all huge angel fans and potential breeders. we all learn more every day.

I was just in Miami today talking to some of my old bigger clients/ stores and they were all complaining about how the availablility of quality Angelfish is so poor down there now. Short and missing fins, missing gill plates, variety selection of colors is even down. The biggest store had only Golds and Marbles and nothing else cause they couldn't get anything else.. It's sad :( Time for us all to breed for quality and not quantity for a few generations. Don't ya think? ;)

I was just in Miami today talking to some of my old bigger clients/ stores and they were all complaining about how the availablility of quality Angelfish is so poor down there now. Short and missing fins, missing gill plates, variety selection of colors is even down. The biggest store had only Golds and Marbles and nothing else cause they couldn't get anything else.. It's sad :( Time for us all to breed for quality and not quantity for a few generations. Don't ya think? ;)

I'm trying my best lol

I think my second batch is gone. They moved the wigglers the other day but they have relaxed their aggression. They will get the 20 gallon this weekend.

i totally agree andy. I have been doing really good about this. instead of just letting what ever is in the tank breed i have been setting up pairs of the same colors and breeds.i now have 1 pair of orange pearl scale- 3 pairs of Filipino blues- 3 pair of koi- 1 pair of black vail tail- 1 pair of white- 1 pair of blushing white. and i don't mix any of them . my friend who is a breeder here also just got 6 koi from angels plus that have 85 percent orange on them so as soon as those breed i will have a couple of them also.

i totally agree andy. I have been doing really good about this. instead of just letting what ever is in the tank breed i have been setting up pairs of the same colors and breeds.i now have 1 pair of orange pearl scale- 3 pairs of Filipino blues- 3 pair of koi- 1 pair of black vail tail- 1 pair of white- 1 pair of blushing white. and i don't mix any of them . my friend who is a breeder here also just got 6 koi from angels plus that have 85 percent orange on them so as soon as those breed i will have a couple of them also.

Nice! You'll have to share photos of the offspring with us :) I must admit the only reason I'm hoping my wigglers make it is because I'm curious to see what color they end up haha... So if only five fish of the original 500 eggs make it I'll be more than happy. Oh and can anyone suggest a good fry food that does not involve starting a baby brine shrimp hatchery? I do want what's best for the youngsters but I'm not quite that invested yet plus I doing think my boyfriend will be happy if I start any more tanks lol

harikari first bights or frozen baby brine shrimp is what i use. lets see more tanks or boyfriend now that's a big decision lol. jk

Glad to hear that Bob. I was actually doing some recon to see where I would get my breeding stock from so I was really disappointed. I have another plan :brows: but that can't be implemented for a couple of months or I may need to scrap the whole idea :blink: This sucks!!!! :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom